Is it time for a Sinclair Next (QL+) machine and QL Linux? To honor Sir Clive's wishes?

A place to discuss general QL issues.
qbits
Trump Card

Re: Is it time for a Sinclair Next (QL+) machine and QL Linux? To honor Sir Clive's wishes?

Post by qbits »

Wasa,

If you’re looking for a design, I put this Retro QL keyboard style together some time back. Just a mock-up of what might be!!!

QBITS
Attachments
QL2024.jpg

XorA
Site Admin

Re: Is it time for a Sinclair Next (QL+) machine and QL Linux? To honor Sir Clive's wishes?

Post by XorA »

Is suggesting it spam? You might try reading it before disrespectfully putting the boot in. I've put in up to 20 hours on this already, to respect and love other people. Talent is lengthy.
20 hours of just endless paragraph free posts? I am failing to see any valuable content!

Your just rehashing what has been talked about on the forum over and over.

Peter has new hardware coming, he already announced some of it, some other people have new hardware coming. The ZX Spectrum Next has a QL core so we have a fancy new case for a QL.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

looks likeva Pi-400... maybe with sQLux will be a candidate.

Regards,

Derek
Wasa
ROM Dongle

Post by Wasa »

qbits wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:25 pm Wasa,

If you’re looking for a design, I put this Retro QL keyboard style together some time back. Just a mock-up of what might be!!!

QBITS
I like it OBITS. Pleasant. I guess it's not grey (but great idea). If it's black, try some little lin line through a join or two for colour. Leds like the next is another idea. But you only need strip or leds, and lot led light line inserts are another. As long as you can still see the keys in the dark.

Wasa
ROM Dongle

Post by Wasa »

qbits wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:25 pm Wasa,

QBITS
Actually, nice skinny notebook design. But mouse control is the issue. Moni touch in the corner? If this was a bit more area on the top, a colour LCD like Z88. Let me think. I ran a design through my head yesterday or the day before, fur a laptop screen. Yes, that one I'm keeping to myself. But a keyboard cover OLED, is possible. There are done cheap plastic (poled) out there, I think screen printed or injection printed now. They don't get the colour gamut of the best types, but still pretty colourful. Folding it under requires a chemical diamond coated tough glass cover for scratch and break resistance. Which Alps can be used as a tablet. Mid, hing mechanism looks tacky but retro, but you can put it under the feet then. I have solutions in mind, but these will do.

Like those laptops, it comes with an above keyboard ped as standard for portable use. There are AR glasses cheap they are running floating PC windows desktops on. Having a pocket version too, you could use the GUI environment through the same compact AR headset with eye tracking and keyboard, or eye typing. But, you see how exciting Sinclair could have been, Apple never really got there back in the days. Anyway, a deep screen, like the Z88 could have had if they filled up the space (and probably what they originally intended). Looks more trendy then it probably is practically compared to a monitor, but makes a good control, monitor and icon display. But, let's take a step back, pop on rear displays and optional internal battery. Ti make the desktop QL into a Laptop. Tablet, or slate computer.

Linus was in this community. Has anybody tried to port Linux to it? I remember Clive's parallel processing wafer cheap computer, was supposed to run Linux. Was that the QL+?

Wasa
ROM Dongle

Post by Wasa »

XorA wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:58 pm
Is suggesting it spam? You might try reading it before disrespectfully putting the boot in. I've put in up to 20 hours on this already, to respect and love other people. Talent is lengthy.
20 hours of just endless paragraph free posts? I am failing to see any valuable content!

Your just rehashing what has been talked about on the forum over and over.

Peter has new hardware coming, he already announced some of it, some other people have new hardware coming. The ZX Spectrum Next has a QL core so we have a fancy new case for a QL.
Oh come on. Please read it, lots of valuable information, and likely a lot of non rehashed stuff. You can't just skim out words and know what's in between. I already covered the threat from potential users deserting to spectrum after trying a next to try the QL core.

What has he announced. QBsse, QZero, which he said wasn't the finale thing, but something was coming recently. Where is the plan, the strategy the pictures. Is it going to be his profile pic? This is not a pit due of his work, but talking about more options for it. I mean, we just twigged that the QZero and sva good size to use with the new small cheap augmented glasses. That's actually pretty cool. If windows android etc didn't exist that would be a real a real seller to researchers and the public (the researchers would research what to do with it, and the students start business developing software for it after leaving university, like has happened in the past).

Wasa
ROM Dongle

Post by Wasa »

By the way guys. SD cards are being made highly unreliable now. The values are prone from drift on use, and over time when not in use. All flash is, particularly cheap multiple level consumer flash. There is a video on you tube about it. 500 writes. If you put a modern disk operating system on there, it can chew up flash. They run wear evening schemes that keep using mrw flash, and to refresh existing data. This means you can get trouble within the year, depends on how intense your usage is, and how full the flash is. The proper stuff they use for reliable applications cost a lot. However, desktop main storage flash has been different and better. So, one or two SSD's, M2 at least, or that replacement for embedded flash in the csse would be better. But, they are cheapening the desktop product too.

Wasa
ROM Dongle

Post by Wasa »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:04 pm Hi,

The Qbase and Qzero fit into the QL without the QL circuit inside.

I do not understand what you are going on about, the Qzero is a standalone computer in its own right. It will not work connected to the QL.

The Q68 is built and sold by me and I am in the process of organising another batch of Q68.

Where is this Q68 wiki page you mention, I know nothing about it and I have never been asked about any information input.
As I said, as Peter acknowledge I think, there are people who do not want to te.obe their main boards to put one in. I was right and gaslit. Look, I just saif, for those people who want the main board in there and don't want the QL yo have anything sticking out the making a daughter card to fit onto the sockets is an option. They can keep the chips removed.

The wiki is linked on top of the forum page, there are Q68 pages there. But no picture of a case. I think I saw a picture somewhere on another site, but not here.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

No idea who updated the QL Wiki, I was not consulted.

Regards,

Derek