Sick Q68

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
IKH
ROM Dongle

Sick Q68

Post by IKH »

Bought a Q68 about a year ago, fired it up and everything worked. Couldn't play for long as I was in the middle of a change of location. So it got packed up again ready for the move. Finally got time to sort my new computer room out last week. My Q68 has decided that it doesn't like any of my CF cards. They work fine on my other devices. It won't even recognise the master card that came with it. For various reasons I can't sort it out so I'm offering it to anyone who would like to try. I would like to swap it for a QL case for a project I'm working on. Any offers?
Ian.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Sick Q68

Post by Derek_Stewart »

HI Ian,

I am sorry that your Q68 is not recognising SD Cards, I can have a look at this problem of you want to return the Q68 to me.

I can also offer a QL Case, with new keyboard Membrane, if you do not want to have the Q68 repaired.

Regards,

Derek
IKH
ROM Dongle

Post by IKH »

Hi Derek, thanks for the quick reply, I can send you the Q68, it's still in the box you sent it to me in. Maybe you can 'repair' it and sell it to a deserving member. I have various other projects running at the moment so it's not a problem if you do that. For one of these projects I require a ql case (with keyboard) although I don't need the motherboard or micro drives.
Ian

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

IKH wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:47 am Hi Derek, thanks for the quick reply, I can send you the Q68, it's still in the box you sent it to me in. Maybe you can 'repair' it and sell it to a deserving member. I have various other projects running at the moment so it's not a problem if you do that. For one of these projects I require a ql case (with keyboard) although I don't need the motherboard or micro drives.
Ian
Hi Ian,

Just emailed you...

Please return the Q68 and I will see if I can see what is wrong.

I can supply a QL Case and new keyboard membrane.

Regards,

Derek
IKH
ROM Dongle

Post by IKH »

Derek, thanks email is on my laptop that I can't access at the moment. Will reply directly some time today. I'm sure we can work something out.
Ian

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

IKH wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:02 am Bought a Q68 about a year ago, fired it up and everything worked. Couldn't play for long as I was in the middle of a change of location. So it got packed up again ready for the move. Finally got time to sort my new computer room out last week. My Q68 has decided that it doesn't like any of my CF cards. They work fine on my other devices. It won't even recognise the master card that came with it. For various reasons I can't sort it out so I'm offering it to anyone who would like to try. I would like to swap it for a QL case for a project I'm working on. Any offers?
Ian.
Might seem like a silly remark - is the SMSQ/E on your Q68 configured for fast SD card access (assuming you meant SD cards, not CF cards)?

I only say this because of the fact that you say the cards work fine elsewhere., and my own personal experience with Q68.

Some SD cards ( that includes ALL of mine) can't be used on the default "fast" setting. I've always had to turn off the 40MHz card speed setting by using MenuConfig to reconfigure the Q68_SMSQ.WIN file.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Whiles the faster SD Card access for the Q68 was a good idea, the feature has caused all sort of problems. Maybe should of not been made available till better testing had been done.

I should also remind everyone, that downloading a new copy of SMSQ/E requires configuration of the config blocks.

I provide correctly configured SMSQ/E on the SD Card I provide.

Regards,

Derek
Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 11:17 am Whiles the faster SD Card access for the Q68 was a good idea, the feature has caused all sort of problems.
With a big warning in the manual, if a user wants to try at his own risk, I find such an experimental feature acceptable.
But never should this be default on the SMSQ/E website.