QL is 30 Event During 2014

A place to discuss general QL issues.
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Re: QL is 30 Event During 2014

Post by Dave »

schombi wrote:Meet with other QL resp. Sinclair/MGT fans...... See new hardware developments.
I should try to go! If I can have such a fervent 'fan'.... I was there for the inception of the SAM Coupe, and contributed hw/sw, including the first Spectrum software ever loaded/run on the prototype. I also got Alan Miles addicted to Hobnobs, which were my crack back in the day.

Ahhh, the memories flooding back.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Maybe that's a requirement for show, plenty of tea and biscuits!

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

vanpeebles wrote:Maybe that's a requirement for show, plenty of tea and biscuits!
If chocolate Hobnobs and tea are on offer, I will have to make an effort to attend :D
What about cake?

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

It's not portal! :lol:

QLvsJAGUAR
Gold Card

Post by QLvsJAGUAR »

Hi folks,

back on the QL retro track (after being busy with the JAGUAR for a while) I would like to share my thoughts about a QL-is-30 event. I already had some email back and forth with Rich last spring.

1. The QL (community) definitely deserves such an event.

2. Such an event should be hold in the home country of Sinclair and the QL, in England.

3. It should be an international event, addressing visitors from all over the world.

4. It should be held at an attractive place/city where beside the show visitors (and their families) can enjoy other activities may it be historical, cultural or just shopping/dining.

5. Catering does not have to be a priority as because of #4 there will be plenty of restaurants/c-stores/markets of all quality and price ranges available. And, BYO food/drinks always works at such events.

6. The event should be 2 days, a full weekend. Held in either in late April/Mai or in September/October 2014 (to leave the summer free for family vacations and avoid the cold and travel-unfriendly winter).

7. The event should be a good mixture of activities in a meeting room (traditional QL show style), with desks for tinkerers, users and traders and sessions & talks in a lecture room.

8. It should not be restricted to the QL only, but at least be themed and addressed as an all Sinclair event. Open for everyone, even for alien retro computer systems (ATARI, COMMODORE, AMSTRAD, etc.).

9. The event should be promoted to a much wider audience than only posting it to ql-users and ql-forum. More forums, retro-magazines, facebook, twitter and the like. Even e-mailshots to (former) Sinclair/QL users.

Taking all this together my favourite location is Cambridge may it be at the Cambridge Campus of the Anglia Ruskin University (with the option to visit the Sinclair building) or in the Centre for Computing History. London would also be an option as it is always worth visiting. I’m pretty sure continental visitors mostly agree with my thoughts.

Together with my Swiss QL friends I ran the “QL-Mac-are-25” international show - the last big scale QL show - in Lucerne 4 years ago with a similar concept. The website (with facts & figures, pictures, videos and presentations) of that event is still up at http://tinyurl.com/ql-mac-show. We had some 50 visitors. Thanks to the remaining funds of the Swiss Sinclair User Group and donations by QUANTA and others the event has been fully sponsored and could be ran as a free entry event (no admission fee). Total costs were CHF 3257 whereof CHF 2532 were for the posh venue (rooms and associated services). All work and travel by us enthusiast was voluntary and unpaid.

10 days ago there was the E-JAGFEST 2013 in Duisburg, Germany - a two days international event celebrating the 20th anniversary of the ATARI JAGUAR - which was ran on a similar concept. There were some 50 visitors from Germany, the Netherlands, the UK and Switzerland. Budget was tight, so a fair admission fee applied. And back to topic, two QLers - Jochen and myself - attended. Here’s a playlist of videos about that event http://tinyurl.com/Jag-is-20. Jochen and myself can be seen in part 10.

Even life is not easy and things get complicated sometime, I would definitely work hard to attend such an event. Excuses like my car is not fit, I don’t like trains, a 4 hours trip within Britain is horrible, etc. sound strange to me (and most likely to other continentals who will travel much longer ways and days). If you’re a Sinclair/QL enthusiast then such things should not stop one from attending the show.

Just my two pennies...

QL forever!

Cheers, Urs

QL forever!
https://www.sinclairql.net/ - Go and get THE DISTRIBUTION & QL/E!
https://www.youtube.com/QLvsJAGUAR/community - Blog
https://www.youtube.com/QLvsJAGUAR - Dedicated QL videos
Sinclair, QL, ATARI, JAGUAR, NUON, APPLE, NeXT, MiST & much more...
Videos, pictures & information
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

QLvsJAGUAR wrote: Excuses like my car is not fit, I don’t like trains, a 4 hours trip within Britain is horrible, etc. sound strange to me (and most likely to other continentals who will travel much longer ways and days). If you’re a Sinclair/QL enthusiast then such things should not stop one from attending the show.
Hey my car was made before my QL!

twellys
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by twellys »

> 2. Such an event should be hold in the home country of Sinclair and the QL, in England.

Most of the production of the ZX81 / Spectrum / (QL?) was based in Dundee by Timex.

The closest real Airport is Edinburgh, with excellent rail links.

Therefore I propose Edinburgh!

:mrgreen:

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

QLvsJAGUAR wrote:8. It should not be restricted to the QL only, but at least be themed and addressed as an all Sinclair event. Open for everyone, even for alien retro computer systems (ATARI, COMMODORE, AMSTRAD, etc.).
Even at a Sinclair-only meeting, the QL would already be an almost negligible minority. If the scope is widened to even more systems (with even bigger user base), the QL completely moves out of focus.

I have attended retro meetings in the past - they are nice if one is primarily interested in general computer history and chat, but I would not travel to England for just that. For my taste, "QL is 30" requires a very clear focus on the QL!

I would definitely prefer a dedicated QL event with an audience of only 10 or 20 persons, to a general retro meeting with 100 or more. The recent German QL meeting has proved how busy and interesting a small event can be.

Peter

belg4rion67
Trump Card

Post by belg4rion67 »

It is a great excuse to visit England for me and my wife!! :D (and to check my poor english...)
I agree in any location will do it !

Only original hardware! :)
Paul
Gold Card

Post by Paul »

Is this really all we have got for this year?
Last post December 3rd last year?
We had our ZX-Team Meeting in April 2014 where there were some QL friends and had a drink for QL's Birthday but this can't have been all.
Currently I was asking in the german forum if anybody was interrested in a pure QL Meeting in Germany at the first of November (which I am willing to organize).
There was positive feedback, but most said
"YES BUT if there is a meeting in Edinburgh (or elsewhere in GB) this would be priority number one".
And I totally agree.
I would much prefer to have the birthday Party in England, but this will be difficult to organize from germany.
Are there no Youth Hostels or other places with room and beds in the UK?
Is really nobody willing to organize this?
Or am i just missing the correct thread?
Please please please organize a QL meeting in UK in 2014.
I offer three QL-SD as reward for the first who really organizes this QL is 30 party in 2014.
And I promise to bring another ten for sale on the event.
Who else is going to offer a reward for the organizers?
Come on, lets bring this event into real life.
Kind regards
Paul