QL Today to close after next issue

A place to discuss general QL issues.
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

QL Today to close after next issue

Post by vanpeebles »

After nearly 20 years, the QL magazine QL Today has announced it's next issue will the be the last one. On personal note it came as a shock and also very sad news. I was always proud of the fact that the QL still had an active published magazine (and also QUANTA).

One of the reasons for closing apart from increasing postages was the lack of contributions(articles, written pieces of any kind) something that also effects QUANTA. Please remember if we don't support our QL services we will lose them, and once gone they will be gone forever. Think of this as a call to arms and a time to rally round the flag.

Many thanks to Geoff Wicks and Jochen Merz for all their hard work and time spent on the magazine. Also thank you to all contributors past and present.

Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Re: QL Today to close after next issue

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Inevitable I fear, although it's had a jolly good run. Having an open (ie non-subscription) forum such as this one is the best alternative though - better in my opinion as people can comment in near-real time and there is no price barrier to deter newbies to the QL from joining in.

There is also no reason why full articles could not be published on the forum, so hopefully those people who do have an article in mind can still publish it here (or anywhere on the Web). Admins, maybe this is something you could consider? The forum software may even have static page/blog modules?

Personally, I stopped subscribing to Quanta and QLToday last year. I decided that I just wasn't getting enough out of either to justify the continued fees although I am grateful to all those who actually do all the hard work of producing them.

Mind you, I'm very much in the casual end of the QL community nowadays - I maybe fire up the emulator once a month at most. For those people who live and breath the QL, this may come as more of a body blow.

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
QLvsJAGUAR
Gold Card

Post by QLvsJAGUAR »

QL Today The Final Issue with DVD, don’t miss it!

Hi folks,

just wanted to report that the next issue of the QL Today magazine is under preparation. It will have 48 pages and will come with a bonus DVD filled with 4.7GB of Sinclair QL related documents, software and pictures. All issues of QL Today ever published over the last 17 years (including the next one itself, giving a total of 123 magazines) will be on the DVD in digital form (searchable PDFs) and as a surprise: QPC2 Version 4 (a very powerful QL emulator) will be on the DVD - thanks to Marcel Kilgus (its author) - in full version. Plus loads of other material.

Jochen Merz (the publisher) has reduced the subscription rate on http://smsq.j-m-s.com - if you don't want to miss issue 4 and the DVD, then you can still "subscribe" to the current volume and get all 4 issues in one go as soon as it is ready. Please note that the latest date to place your order is the 30th of August – Jochen needs to know the total print run by then.

So don't miss the very final issue! Who knows, it may well be a collector's item in some years - and one thing is for sure: there won't be many!

QL forever!

QL forever!
https://www.sinclairql.net/ - Go and get THE DISTRIBUTION & QL/E!
https://www.youtube.com/QLvsJAGUAR/community - Blog
https://www.youtube.com/QLvsJAGUAR - Dedicated QL videos
Sinclair, QL, ATARI, JAGUAR, NUON, APPLE, NeXT, MiST & much more...
Videos, pictures & information
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

I'm gonna be sad to see it go :cry:

Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

I decided to order it, mostly as a thank you to all those who contributed and worked in its production. Also it looks like you get a full copy of QPC2 included which is pretty generous (although I already have Q-emuLator for both Win and OS X, so I am not sure how much use I can make of it)

PS - you also get an awful lot of other stuff included, like Dilwyn's entire web site (!) - all freely available already, but nice and handy to have on one resource.

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Yes the full copy of QPC2 is definitely a big bonus!! :)

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Sparrowhawk wrote:although I already have Q-emuLator for both Win and OS X,
So you're still missing one for the Raspberry Pi - That one's on the DVD as well ;)

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

tofro wrote:
So you're still missing one for the Raspberry Pi - That one's on the DVD as well ;)

Tobias
Oh wow - oh... you mean Linux.... :D :lol:

Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

tofro wrote:So you're still missing one for the Raspberry Pi - That one's on the DVD as well ;)
I do have a Pi but did not realise that there was a QL emulator for Raspbian Linux. Good stuff !

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

I got my set of magazines a while back now (interesting pink colour!) and I must say that there is some great content in there.

The jewel in the crown for me was having the complete set of back issues on the DVD though.

I've yet to install QPC2 - I was going to install it on a spare Dell laptop we have, but that is currently acting as a Web console for the kids and is running Lubuntu Linux. I may install it in a VM on my Mac though to see how it compares to Q-emuLator.

a.k.a. Jean-Yves