QLTerminal v2.35 with TheOldNet WiFi v4

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

QLTerminal v2.35 with TheOldNet WiFi v4

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Hello

I wonder whether anyone can help me out.
I’m trying to connect my BBQL (Tetroid SGC, Hermes, JS ROM) to the web.

I’m using a serial cable adapter v1.1 from The Retro Shack in Serial 2 with and RS232 to WIFI adapter v4 from the Old Net

https://www.tindie.com/products/theoldn ... puters-v4/

Software is Jan’s great QL Terminal, v2.35. Emulation is ANSI.

I can connect to the modem, but I have a strange and very annoying issue: every keystroke is shown twice. This is with echo set to OFF.

So for example if I were to type AT? To get a list of commands, AATT?? would actually be shown, but the command would work and I’d get a nice set of help lines. So it’s just the input display, not the input itself.

When I set echo to Local Only, I get the correct text, but of course don’t see any reply.

Anyone with experience of these sorts of setup have any idea what I am doing wrong?

It’s my birthday, so go on, make my day and help me to solve this! :lol:

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: QLTerminal v2.35 with TheOldNet WiFi v4

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Can you try switching off the local echo, with ATE0

Also try AT? for a list of the commands.

This is guesswork, as I do no have this modem.

Regards,

Derek
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

If you disconnect the far end of the cable, are characters still echoed? Then your cable is likely to have a short between TX and RX

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Thanks Derek, I trie dthat and it worked.

tofro, I'm not sure what you mean by disconnect the far end of the cable? Do you mean not have it plugged into the wifi model?

Setup is QL(SER2) -> adapter cable -> WIFI modem. There is nothing beyond the modem.

Anway, after running the config prog to store my desired setting, everything stopped working! Looks like it directly edits the executable. I'll grab a fresh copy of the disk image and try again to see if that is the cause of that particular problem.

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

If you can type AT and get OK back, the modem is connected to the computer correctly.

You can get information of the modem configuration and connections using the ATI command.

Type: ATIx where x = 0 to 3

i.e. AT0 or ATI1

The sparse manual says AT? gives list of the commands.

Regards,

Derek
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Yep that's the strange thing - it was double echoing with echo off, then I did your trick and it was displaying correctly, then I ran the set the baud rate to 9600 on the modem and in the terminal, all good. However, after running the configurator and permanently setting the baud to 9600, it stopped working. Also, from that point, with local echo off nothing was being displayed, until I long pressed the re-flash button on the modem at which point remote echo showed a message from the modem, but still no local echo.

I think there may be a modem firmware update, so I'll go see whether that fixes anything. Then I'll try again from the start, with a fresh disk image, and maybe try another terminal just in case QLTerminal and the modem happen to be incompatible in some edge-case way.

Actually I recall something - - when I first started up QLTerminal, the display of inputs was fine - it was nly after I connected to the modem by saying hi with just AT that the double echoing happened. So it does sound like a modem issue.

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

BTW the BBS i was trying to connect to was floppy.museum, if anyone fancies taking a peek. Runs on an OS/2 BBS package, which makes me happy (long time OS/2 fan).

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

Sparrowhawk wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:33 pm BTW the BBS i was trying to connect to was floppy.museum, if anyone fancies taking a peek. Runs on an OS/2 BBS package, which makes me happy (long time OS/2 fan).
It locks up for me at the question. Probably me as I've not tried to connect to a BBS in 40 years

IMG_3771.jpeg

NL_QL_Usr
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by NL_QL_Usr »

Nice tip floppy.museum

As guest only 2 files

OS/2 fan here also :D
os2warp_boxart-1744231872.png

Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

t0nyt wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:06 pm
It locks up for me at the question. Probably me as I've not tried to connect to a BBS in 40 years
Yep me too. Works ok using telnet from my Linux laptop. I’ve sent a query to the admin on Mastodon. Will let you know what he says.

a.k.a. Jean-Yves