QLTERM - XMODEM and ΣFP QL ROM bug (?) - Official Sinclair Greek QL ROM implementation

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
ge.konstantopoulos
ROM Dongle

QLTERM - XMODEM and ΣFP QL ROM bug (?) - Official Sinclair Greek QL ROM implementation

Post by ge.konstantopoulos »

Relevant Topic:
viewtopic.php?t=4748

After Managing to connect my QL to the internet and had access to TELNET based BBSes (check above topic) , I wanted to download some QL files.
I am using the so popular QLTERM program (by Jan Bredenbeek).
QLTERM implements X-Modem protocol for file transfer.

I am able to confirm:
1) QLTERM fails to receive the file from the BBS as long my ΣFP (Sinclair QL Officially released Greek ROM) is used in the QL
2) When I replaced this ROM with a JM one, everything went excellent and the transfer always completes with success.

I believe that it is highly possible this bug to be present to all international ROMs
I believe these ROMs use some kind of characters (from QL ASCII codes) that are also used in the X-Terminal handshaking. And fail.

janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Re: QLTERM - XMODEM and ΣFP QL ROM bug (?) - Official Sinclair Greek QL ROM implementation

Post by janbredenbeek »

If you don't have a Moxa but do have a PC you can use the telnet.bas program from my QLTerm repository (https://github.com/janbredenbeek/QLTerm) on any TCP/IP-enabled emulator such as QPC, Qemulator, sQLux or SMSQmulator. On SMSQ/E you'll even have 8 colours available.

I'm not sure why XMODEM transfers fail on the Greek ROM, but it might have something to do with character translations on the serial port?
I've tested the Greek ROM on Qemulator and the character set appears the same for ASCII characters < 128 but is different for the high-bit codes to accomodate the Greek alphabet.

(moved here from Hardware section)