Most probably the smallest "QL" ever!

A place to discuss general QL issues.
badaman
Over Heated PSU

Re: Most probably the smallest "QL" ever!

Post by badaman »

Beautiful.
Would this be the portable QL dream?
By the way, I have to know more about sQ68ux

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

badaman wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:35 am By the way, I have to know more about sQ68ux
It emulates a Q68 instead of the original QL. Which gives it highcolor graphics and the capability to run SMSQ/E. Which I find very cool.

badaman
Over Heated PSU

Post by badaman »

Peter wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:14 am
badaman wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:35 am By the way, I have to know more about sQ68ux
It emulates a Q68 instead of the original QL. Which gives it highcolor graphics and the capability to run SMSQ/E. Which I find very cool.
I'm going to try it. I find it very interesting. Thanks!

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

badaman wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:10 pm
Peter wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:14 am
I'm going to try it. I find it very interesting. Thanks!
https://github.com/xXorAa/sQ68Lay

Regards,

Derek
ql_freak
Gold Card

Post by ql_freak »

Because of the GPD Pockets which are only available with English (US) keyboard layout. I have now created an EN-US-DE (IBM) keyboard layout. The Umlauts are on [{]}\~... If you install it as a second keyboard in Windows, you can switch between EN-US and my EN-US-DE with Alt-Shift (description how to install a second keyboard layout is on my homepage in German and English)

I will shortly offer my EN-US-DE installable keyboard layout on my homepage. I will eventually add dead keys (as on DE-DE keyboard), so that you can enter accented chars like à, Â, ...

http://peter-sulzer.bplaced.net
GERMAN! QL-Download page also available in English: GETLINE$() function, UNIX-like "ls" command, improved DIY-Toolkit function EDLINE$ - All with source. AND a good Python 3 Tutorial (German) for Win/UNIX :-)
Tinyfpga
Gold Card

Post by Tinyfpga »

Picture of the smallest PC I could find I to make an interpretation of the QL Wafer.
I have used it to run QPC2 as is. It comes with Windows 10 Pre-installed and cost £57.00 inc delivery.
The thing sticking out of the side is a wireless mouse receiver.
image00003.jpg
Last edited by Tinyfpga on Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

This is similar to an Intel Compute Stick, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Compute_Stick

Windows 10 could be removed and Linux put on with the same functionality as Windows, except runs faster.

Regards,

Derek
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:49 am Hi,

This is similar to an Intel Compute Stick, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Compute_Stick

Windows 10 could be removed and Linux put on with the same functionality as Windows, except runs faster.
I used to have an Intel Stick. It ran Windows 10 and QPC2 adequately for home use. Unfortunately, it went missing after I left it at my son's house just before the first Covid-19 lockdown. Shame - it was a bit underpowered for anything other than light home use such as emails, web browsing, word processing. It just plugged in behind a monitor out of sight. Had a similar sort of spec and performance as a cheap little netbook PC for example.

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

Tinyfpga wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:13 am Picture of the smallest PC I could find I to make an interpretation of the QL Wafer.
I have used it to run QPC2 as is. It comes with Windows 10 Pre-installed and cost £57.00 inc delivery.
The thing sticking out of the side is a wireless mouse receiver.
image00003.jpg
Where did you found it with only 57? The lowest price I find is £157 in Europe and 120$ in China

Tinyfpga
Gold Card

Post by Tinyfpga »

I bought the 4GB version from AliExpress whilst I was in Portugal. Now that I am looking for it in Switzerland the price seems higher
at CHF 76.87 = £67. I say "seems" because the price changes hour by hour and changes from country to country.
My order from Portugal was in $ for some reason and £10 cheaper at $76. AliExpress was very efficient and the PC
arrived 10 days after I ordered it.
I ran QPC2 at 1920 x 1200 and it seemed fast, bouncing 6 balls at once. It appears to be a faster clone of the Intel compute stick
that ,according to your link, could have cost as much as $395 for the windows 10 version.
I don't think much of the pre-installed version of Windows 10. It is stuffed full of junk software that can not be
removed, but it works as a cheap "QL".
I don't know how to replace the system with a version Linux. I managed to get Linux Mint working on an HP tablet but it was not easy.
I bought this stick to make a working "QL Wafer" and I am creating the 6 .STL files needed to print a two colour box in
the style of the original design.
Aliexpress.JPG
P1110063.JPG