SMSQE 3.39 is out now!

Various bugfixes by Marcel
SMSQ/E for Q-emulator (by Daniele)
EXEP_M EXEP_W keywords and related functions
Name of JOB_NAME for Sbasic may now be 48 chars long
Q68 setting date also sets it in the hardware clock, if PROT_DATE allows it
Q68 better serport handling
Q68 allows for configuurable home/end keys
SMSQmulator can handle serial ports (experimental feature)
CKEYON/CKEYOFF could malfunction under some circumstances
SER_FLOW no longer gives error every time it is used
Recent thing bugs corrected

This can get downloaded from https://wlenerz.com/smsqe

SMSQmulator 3.00 is out, for versions 11 and 17 of java.

The bump to v. 3.00 is due to the many internal changes that were.
SMSqmulator does now have access to serial ports (this is still experimental - it works here....).

This can be downloaded from https://wlenerz.com/smsqmulator

QDOS & SMSQ reference guide v. 4.8 is out.

I also re-made the manual for the Configurations standard, levels 1 & 2, with some assembler examples.

This can be downloaded from https://wlenerz.com/qlstuff (under documentation)

I updated the Q68 manual, it can be found at
https://wlenerz.com/Q68/Q68-SMSQE.zip

(nothing earth-shattering there, it explains PROT_DATE, my experiences with SDXC cards and some new config options).

Have fun!

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Software updates

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

There is a problem with the configuration of the Q68_SMSQ file in the downloadable file Q68_SMSQ.WIN.

The filenames in the SMSQ/E config block are not the same as setup as in the Q68 manual.

The saved names in the SMSQ/E are:

WIN1 : QXL.WIN

This is the QWA WIN container file which should be:

WIN1 : QLWA.WIN

If the WIN names are not correct the Q68 will not find WIN1 and will boot to the standard QL 3 windows, not being able to find WIN1_BOOT.

The solution is to run the SMSQ/E Menuconfig programme by entering: LRUN "WIN8_BOOT"

Where the SMSQ/E defaults can be edited to the correct value to suit the system.

I have reported this issue on many occasions but nothing seems to happen.

So in the past I configure any version of SMSQ/E I supply.

I recommend reading up.on how to configure programmes with Config Blocks.

Regards,

Derek
afx
Trump Card

Post by afx »

It's great that SMSQE is still maintained. Many thanks to everyone involved in the project.

I have installed SMSQE on my systems (QPC2, Q68, Q-emuLator, SGC-QLSD) and everything is working correctly.

PS: Regarding the name of the default containers in win1_, it seems more comfortable to me that it be called QXL.WIN (that's what I call it in my SMSQE systems).

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

afx wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:30 pm PS: Regarding the name of the default containers in win1_, it seems more comfortable to me that it be called QXL.WIN (that's what I call it in my SMSQE systems).
I name my emulator containers QXL.WIN (usually on a PC's harddisk and fragmented) and my native hardware containers (usually on SD card) QLWA.WIN. This has a good reason:

It is strictly required to keep the containers files for native hardware unfragmented, while the QXL (and the other emulators) support fragmented container files. It is extremely important to distinguish this difference. Therefore I picked the term QLWA, which was established for the corresponding SMSQ/E partitions on harddisks of native systems like Q40/Q60. QLWA.WIN became standard for the Q68, from which the corresponding QL-SD driver was derived. I had expected the same default name would be kept for QL-SD ROMs. Unfortunately that did not happen, which watered down the clarity I had hoped to establish. For QIMSI and Qzero of course, I went back to the original default naming for native hardware.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I had thought that the QWA container name was QLWA.WIN for the first container and QLWA2.WIN, QLWA3.WIN etc...

I adhered to this standard, but every version of SMSQ/E comes with WIN1 defined as QXL.WIN

To somoeone who does not understand how to configure QL software with Config Blocks, this will be a problem. A system that is expecting to load QXL.WIN, when the actual WIN1 container is called QLWA.WIN, will fail.

This failure is not the fault of the system, just the configuration not following the correct agreed standard.

Just be aware that if the system does not load, then look at the configuration.

Regards,

Derek
afx
Trump Card

Post by afx »

Peter wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:44 am It is strictly required to keep the containers files for native hardware unfragmented, while the QXL (and the other emulators) support fragmented container files. It is extremely important to distinguish this difference. Therefore I picked the term QLWA, which was established for the corresponding SMSQ/E partitions on harddisks of native systems like Q40/Q60. QLWA.WIN became standard for the Q68, from which the corresponding QL-SD driver was derived. I had expected the same default name would be kept for QL-SD ROMs. Unfortunately that did not happen, which watered down the clarity I had hoped to establish. For QIMSI and Qzero of course, I went back to the original default naming for native hardware.
I didn't understand the reason for naming the .WIN containers two ways, QXL.WIN and QLWA.WIN. I understand now.

By the way, another highly desired feature in this version of SMSQE for Q68 is the functionality of the "Home" and "End" keys, now the use of those keys is more predictable (great!).

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

afx wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:25 pm <>
By the way, another highly desired feature in this version of SMSQE for Q68 is the functionality of the "Home" and "End" keys, now the use of those keys is more predictable (great!).
The scroll wheel on my mouse doent produce any output. Does it work for anyone/everyone else?

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

pjw wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:53 pm
afx wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:25 pm <>
The scroll wheel on my mouse doent produce any output. Does it work for anyone/everyone else?
Hi Per,

All works fine for me, in QPC2, SMSQmulator, Q68, perssing the Scroll wheel, selects the Button Frame.

I configure QPAC2 to use the middle button / Scroll Wheel / two buttons pressed together as '.'

The Scroll wheel allows up and down movement of the cursor in a window or application.

Regards,

Derek
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Hi Derek,
Strange that: I just upgraded my Q68 with the latest SMSQ/E, and the scroll wheel did not scroll nor the scroll button butt. I though this might be a new "feature". However, on starting up this morning everything worked fine! No idea what happened (or whether it may happen again).
For now, however: Alarm over! Code green!

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi Per!

Did you notice whether or not the Q68 bootloader detected a 'normal' or 'extended' PS/2 mouse at start-up? (It flashes-by a bit quick...)

I find that my extended PS/2 mouse isn't always detected as such intermittently. Probably a timing issue, but not something I usually bother about (I hate mice!)