Fleet Tactical Command II. Data Print Utility

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Martin_Head
Aurora

Fleet Tactical Command II. Data Print Utility

Post by Martin_Head »

According to the Ql Wiki https://qlwiki.qlforum.co.uk/doku.php?i ... nt_utility, This is a lost program.

I'm tinkering with the idea of trying to recreate it, or something like it.

Does anyone remember using this program. Did it just display ship data, or did it do anything fancy, like produce maps showing where all the ships were positioned.

Does anyone have a user manual, if there was one, that might show what it did, or how it looked.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: Fleet Tactical Command II. Data Print Utility

Post by dilwyn »

I used to sell this back in the DJC days. It came in a big box about the size of a ream of paper. It came with protractors, charts, pencils, all sort of things. I never actually played it, though (DJC took too much time so I rarely got to use or write software) :cry:

There's a demo version at https://dilwyn.qlforum.co.uk/games/index.html which the page says (though memory fails me whether it's correct) you had something to do with in 2017!

(Going into hiding for a bit now in case I'm wrong)
EDIT: Yes, memory failed me, this was a QPC2 version, not the original demo version. The original demo is at https://dilwyn.qlforum.co.uk/demos/ftc2demo.zip

Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

The Data Print Utility was sold separately from FTCII. I don't know if you sold this along side FTCII.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

No, not if I remember correctly.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

I seem to have a partially crcked version of Fleet Tactical Command II - the note states that it does not timeout but does not allow the user to save their progress.

I assume it is a cracked version of the demo. I also have some scanned images of the manuals.

It is a shame that no-one seems to know what happened to Di-Ren (Robin J A Barker and Andrew Hopkins). Robin was of course one time chairman of Quanta, but they only ever had his address in Walsall.

Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

Trying to recreate the the Data Print Utility is a bit of an offshoot from another project, That is to recreate the source code for FTCII.

I know that I can't publicly release it as it's still classed as commercial.

Your cracked version is almost certainly the demo version, as that has all the save code removed.