Minerva Mk2 Remake

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Minerva Mk2 Remake

Post by tofro »

Popopo wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:38 pm
Derek_Stewart wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:44 am I am surprised you have never heard of this, the Minerva MKII appeared in 1990s, so nothing new.
It is because I'm new in QL world.
I bought my QL about 3 years ago but never able to use due to faulty MDVs. Till some months ago that I discovered MicroDrivePico replacement for MDVs.
It is now when I want to develop for QL and studying it better.

I knew about Minerva and TKII only like a ROM replacement for better... never tested features or used.

Some people that asked me for some MDPs told me the same... they couldn't never use their QLs because not replacement for MDVs (only Oqtadrive option) but a little complicate to use. vDrives were also another good solution but out of our pockets.
We had no idea about QL World. Hermes, SuperHermes, Minerva... so on
So I guess... now the community could get some new users, new necessities, request... at least... I hope it. More users may imply better developments and dreams
Sorry

While when talking about Minerva we're mainly talking about it as a pure replacement ROM for the QL (which it is), Mark II was more than that: It supplied an I²C interface and a battery-backed RTC (connected via I²C) to keep the proper time of day. TFS (the original vendor) also supplied various I²C peripherals like relay boards, GPIO interfaces, A/D converters and temperature sensors.

Also, most people don't seem to be aware these days (apparently, a lot of people seem to be installing Minerva just for its extended memory test) that Minerva also introduced some features like multiple SuperBASIC instances, loadable keyboard drivers and the second screen access. So, it's definitely recommended to download the Minerva utilities disk and thoroughly read the manual.
Last edited by tofro on Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

tofro wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:06 pm While when talking about Minerva we're mainly talking about it as a pure replacement ROM for the QL (which it is), Mark II was more than that: It supplied an I²C interface and a battery-backed RTC (connected via I²C) to keep the proper time of day. TFS (the original vendor) also supplied various I²C peripherals like relay boards, GPIO interfaces, A/D converters and temperature sensors.
Great
I will look for info about it.
Thank :)

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Start with manuals for Minerva, I²C, etc (the TF Services products) at https://www.dilwyn.qlforum.co.uk/docs/m ... tfservices

Chris_68
Brittle Membrane

Post by Chris_68 »

Hi

Great idea, I would be interested. Using SMD will make a nice design, if possible include a flash with room for a couple of images controlled by a switch.

/Chris

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Chris_68 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:37 pm Hi

Great idea, I would be interested. Using SMD will make a nice design, if possible include a flash with room for a couple of images controlled by a switch.

/Chris
That is an interesting idea, but the there a space contraint as well.

I was considering integration of a QL-SD interface, but initially, this is just a copy of the existing hardware.

I have contacted Stuart McKnight via Facebook, he seems to have no objections and copying the hardware.

Regards,

Derek
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

The original board was a little larger than the ROM socket footprint - having the RTC chip and GAL to accommodate.

A straight copy would at least resurrect the I2C portion of Minerva. If the components were SMD - they should all fit into the same space, with the option of additional ROM images / I2C buffer.

Another idea might be to integrate QL-SD / QIMI / I2C / RTC / Minerva onto a QIMI type footprint, and include a PS/2 to Quadrature converter (small micro) to allow either type of Mouse to be used? A reasonable size CPLD would easily provide the logic for all those interfaces.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Do not need a mouse interface, this is supplied on QIMSI.

Initially, I want some working Minerva MkII boards.

Regards,

Derek
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:00 pm Hi,

to be fair so is QL-SD equivalent provided by QIMSI

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Pr0f wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:28 pm
Derek_Stewart wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:00 pm Hi,

to be fair so is QL-SD equivalent provided by QIMSI
But QL-SD can be configured so QIMSI uses the QL-SD reader located in one of the Microdrive slots.

Okay, QL-SD, makes it all easier.

Regards,

Derek
aalea
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by aalea »

Chris_68 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:37 pm Hi

/Chris
Definitely I Will do this, smd, space for several ROM, and options to enable/disable toolkit II and the i2c interface, i Will put as OpenSource, but not estimated time for finish, hopefully It will be soon.

@Derek_Stewart : After see the post on Facebook, I have the same idea, and already did the schematic and the pcb on kicad, based on the information of a old topic here, I Will put in gitlab this weekend, if you are interested or I can save you some time.