Messing with Morphing

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
stevepoole
Super Gold Card

Re: Messing with Morphing

Post by stevepoole »

Hi Folks,
Here is the latest demo version, just UNZIP, LRUN or ESCape. The next version will be a proper 'storyboard' animation, not just clips. Steve.

LOOP : readem 60,1050,1200,40,40,0,0,156,1 : Eg: 60 points, restore1050, restore1200, x & y offsets for each set, scale, repeats.
BACK : the background image (in channel 3).
PREPARE : calculates all the intermedait morphed images.
SHOW : replays the required number of images. (show 2,2 loops the animation twice, and plays backwards too).
READEM : data loader for each image.
DATAs : (The first item must be the same as the last, the last repeated three times ).

The curve-smoothing code may be included in a future version, but for the moment it makes the listing rather long !
Morf7.zip
(3.56 KiB) Downloaded 31 times

stevepoole
Super Gold Card

Post by stevepoole »

Hi everybody,
This evening I typed in data for nine storyboard images, anotherwords a 144 morphed-frame fast animation. here is a welsh preview. Steve.
Capture d’écran (314).png
Capture d’écran (310).png
Capture d’écran (311).png
Capture d’écran (308).png

qbits
Trump Card

Post by qbits »

Hi Steve,
You’re a bad as me and enjoying messing around, experimenting if you want to sound a bit more upmarket.
So what exactly would you describe your Morphing algorithm as? Cross Dissolving.. or Mesh Morphing..
maybe Field Morphing.. Triangle Mess Morphing.. Morphing using Structural Similarity…
or simply just Free-Form Morphing..

Is it time to Stop Morphing about. Of course NOT. Carry on regardless so we can all enjoy the moment.

QBITS
[Expand Your Horizons with QL SuperBASIC] QL Tinkering [..28] QBITSProgs 2023 Review :Download:

stevepoole
Super Gold Card

Post by stevepoole »

Hi Qbits,

Having done some web searches, it would seem that this morphing is 'Tweening'. I include an animation, excuse my lousy drawing skills !

It consists of a 14 page loop (224 frames). On 128ko you can get 25 pages (400 frames). Just UNZIP, LRUN or ESCape. Tested under QPC2.

A good artist should be able to get decent output. Next I will try to incorporate the method as a game... Flying saucers ? Steve.
Morf8.zip
(3.16 KiB) Downloaded 30 times

stevepoole
Super Gold Card

Post by stevepoole »

Hi Folks,

The first prototype caused a great deal of interet : 45 downloads ! Yet the last, final, 'animated storyboard' got less hits... strange ?

With the last (demo) version, you can make moving 'films' yourself, following simple guidelines, mentioned recently...

Whilst adapting it to produce a 'flying saucers' game, I used the 'curve-smoothing' program to get swooping loops for the alien.

So I am revamping the latter program , which will have a different forum subject, as it doesn't need to use any morphing....

It should be ready soon. Regards, Steve.

stevepoole
Super Gold Card

Post by stevepoole »

Hi Folks,

Ql versus jaguar ? No ! QL means Quantum Leap, So here is QLeapard, a fairly well drawn animation, much better than previous ones....

Alter line 950:3 to PAUSE 0, to see the full speed potential. Only eight drawings to get 128 morphed frames !

If you wish, enter your own DATA: You need a sequence of drawings, tracing paper, millimetered paper, and a fair bit of patience.

I hope this demo will convince you that QL animation is perfectly accessible to us. No need to create pixelated sprites !

The hardest part, is getting the drawings done. ( I got these off a web site, dedicated to praxinoscopes...)

With lots of memory on QPC2, it should be possible to get together a decent filmed scenario. Steve.
QLeopard.zip
(3.42 KiB) Downloaded 27 times

stevepoole
Super Gold Card

Post by stevepoole »

Hi again, Yer 'Tiz... Steve.
Capture d’écran (321).png

stevepoole
Super Gold Card

Post by stevepoole »

Hi Everybody,

After getting reasonably good fluent animation with QLeopard, it was time to experiment with games using morphing.

So GunMan_bas is a first (minimalist) attempt to see if the concept is viable, which it is on QPC2, and just about ok using SGC (& QDOS).

UNZIP, LRUN, and when he draws his gun, use the arrow keys to aim at his heart, and then press ENTER hard to fire.

Try to see how many bandits you can shoot, before they shoot you! Feel free to modify the code, but avoid RENUM, to maintain RESTOREs.

Read the instruction in first lines of code, if you do not use QPC2....to adapt speed for your processor. Regards, Steve.
gunman.zip
(3.58 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Capture d’écran (326).png

stevepoole
Super Gold Card

Post by stevepoole »

Hi Folks,

Gunman_bas was fairly difficult to code efficiently, at least for SuperGoldCard, that is, mixing fast Morphed images with cursor key inputs.

So other games, not needing arrow key-ins are being considered, as morphing is fast enough for bare 128ko QLs, but not with GunMan_bas...!

As soon as some suitable scenario is ready, work will start. (A very interesting QL animation project to experiment with). Regards, Steve.

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Hi Stephen,

I just tested under the new sQLux64 on Windows ;)

Slight error on line 140:

Code: Select all

140     x=1: y=2: of0=0: of1=50: of2=90: ct=0: steps=1: pze=10: p=8
Should be
140     x=1: y=2: off0=0: off1=50: of2=90: ct=0: steps=1: pze=10: p=8
(you misspelt offx as ofx)

Not my kinda game, but still fun to see what can be done :)

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?