PSU for VRetro PSU?

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
t0nyt
Gold Card

PSU for VRetro PSU?

Post by t0nyt »

I’ve ordered one of Charlie’s QL power supplies and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a suitable power supply I could order from Amazon uk please?

They seem to have a variety of power supplies and I can’t decide what might be best please

Many thanks for any advise

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Re: PSU for VRetro PSU?

Post by Pr0f »

I use an old power supply that was destined to be binware - there are quite a few on ebay that will work fine. The main thing is to meet the minimum voltage and current capability. Mine was a 12V 2.5A supply - I think originally it was for an external disk drive.

t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

Pr0f wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:58 am I use an old power supply that was destined to be binware - there are quite a few on ebay that will work fine. The main thing is to meet the minimum voltage and current capability. Mine was a 12V 2.5A supply - I think originally it was for an external disk drive.
All my binware PSU’s went in the bin a long time ago

I don’t really trust old supplies, but a lot of modern ones online look dodgy quality too

Will take a look on eBay as an alternative to Amazon though, thanks

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

The term binware for me is items in perfectly serviceable order, but for instance in this case - the external disk was failed, the item thrown already - leaving a perfectly good power supply looking for a new home.

t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

Due to a lack of space/storage (I’m a live in carer) I’ve binned just about everything I had from furniture to psu’s. Will have to start again from scratch when I get my own place again in the future

Does a 12v 2a 24w walwart seem ok please?

Many thanks

Chris_68
Brittle Membrane

Post by Chris_68 »

Hi

The voltage regulator inside the Ql is a 1.5 or 2A so you should be fine, if you can get a 2.5A that is better .

Don't forget to buy one with the correct diameter for the barrel connector.

t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

Chris_68 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:52 am Hi

The voltage regulator inside the Ql is a 1.5 or 2A so you should be fine, if you can get a 2.5A that is better .

Don't forget to buy one with the correct diameter for the barrel connector.
Thanks. Can’t see much in the way of 2.5a but there’s 3a - would that be ok please?

Many thanks

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

should be more than adequate :-) That gives plenty of extra for any plug in cards too.

t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

Pr0f wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:38 am should be more than adequate :-) That gives plenty of extra for any plug in cards too.
Many thanks

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

The maximum current rating can be higher (within reason) but not lower.

If buying on a trading site, use a seller from your own country that has a good reputation or buy a known brand that has a good reputation.

Stay clear of low quality imports from the far east, as often these completely ignore good engineering practice, and hence may not be particularly safe.

Both for you and for the equipment.

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)