FPGA replacment for the ZX8301 ULA and more

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
lliont
Trump Card

Re: FPGA replacment for the ZX8301 ULA and more

Post by lliont »

Intel-Altera Cyclone IV EP4CE10

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Really impressive demo, looks like we do not need a Super Gold Card.

Can the Flash command be used?

When it is said virtual microdrives, do you mean, vDriveQL, Oqtadrive, Micropdrive?

Looks like I need to fix some more QLs, as I will want one.

Regards,

Derek
lliont
Trump Card

Post by lliont »

When it boots it is just a faster standard QL so flash command works and only when 16 colors are enabled with the fcon command flash stops working until a fcoff :D.
The only thing that doesn't work is the minerva second screen.
Yes I mean mean vDriveQL, Oqtadrive, Micropdrive.

SGC is faster and runs smsq, also it is installed and de-installed easily, I can't say the same for my card.

I have some concerns I'll share with you.
My board plugs in two sockets replacing the cpu and ula and must make good contact, also it has a small daughter card (with the sd card and ports) that is connected with cables and also has to be installed, I use a 3d printed plate in place of the expansion card door.
In my QL I have changed the sockets with good quality ones and so I can install it and remove it easily, I have done this maybe more than a hundred times.
Will everyone be able to install it correctly to the standard QL's sockets without breaking a pin? Will it do good contact to the poor quality standard QL sockets?

It takes a lot of time to assemble one, I'll make a few starting with 1-2 friends to test them in different QL's and in any case it has to be understood by those who want to try it that they'll do this with some risk and I wish they have some experience with such things (I think most people here have).

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Leon,

I have 2 QLs, that I had to replace the original red socket that Sinclair fitted for the 68008.

I accidentally pull the top of the red socket off and broke the CPU connection pins underneath. I replaced the socket with a turned pi socket, which made the CPU and 8301 sockets the same height. Which maybe should of been the case, but we do not know how Sinclair reasoning was fitting the badly designed socket for he 68008 CPU.

Regards,

Derek
lliont
Trump Card

Post by lliont »

Hi, It was cheaper ? :)

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

If I understand correctly...
...the board uses an add-on at the expansion port space to bring out connectors
...the board does not work with other cards at the expansion port anyway
...there are concerns about internal mounting with lots of socket contacts

Which makes me question why it does not sit in the expansion slot as a single board solution? Looks like suitable PCB area size.

lliont
Trump Card

Post by lliont »

It started this way and I was hopping I could use cards in the expansion port. Maybe there is still a chance.
If you see the early posts of the topic it was working with qubide then and after I made the ql-sd compatible interface and used faster cpu it stopped working with the slower cards.
And also this way it works also as a ULA replacement (I mean without the need of a ULA).

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

lliont wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:44 pm And also this way it works also as a ULA replacement (I mean without the need of a ULA).
Can't remember the details of your ever-changing projects, but you seemed to have your own RAM on this one. So I can't see why the board needs to sit in the ULA socket to replace it. RGB and the SYNC signals are also on the expansion port.

lliont
Trump Card

Post by lliont »

PCEN

Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

Hi,
what you are creating is just... AMAZING! :)
It is growing up farther than expected. Thus I wonder, will you do a synthesized version with just the ZX8301 ULA replacement?

Thank you for everything