QTalk - does anyone have it/seen it?

A place to discuss general QL issues.
ql_freak
Gold Card

QTalk - does anyone have it/seen it?

Post by ql_freak »

Does anyone possess (or have [had] seen) the (I'm not sure, if the following name is correct, must have a look into the advertises of QL World) QTalk Device (and its speech synthesizing software)?

It was connected to a SER port and has an own (virtual?) device driver for this SER port, so you simply can put out speech commands with print commands:

open#3,qtalk
print#3,'hello world'
close#3

to SPEAK "hello world".

BTW: I am interessted to buy it (for a good price) if someone is willing to sell it.

http://peter-sulzer.bplaced.net
GERMAN! QL-Download page also available in English: GETLINE$() function, UNIX-like "ls" command, improved DIY-Toolkit function EDLINE$ - All with source. AND a good Python 3 Tutorial (German) for Win/UNIX :-)
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Re: QTalk - does anyone have it/seen it?

Post by bwinkel67 »

Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5slnMemLtgs

Would seem that something like this could easily be created with a Pi or something similar.

ones' complement
Over Heated PSU

Post by ones' complement »

Qtalk replicated on Pico?.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

ones' complement wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:45 pm Qtalk replicated on Pico?.
Looks great, the Pico does not have a serial port, how do I connect it to the QL?

Regards,

Derek
ones' complement
Over Heated PSU

The Pico has UART. The useful part (with all hard work done) is whether the QL device/software is available.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

ones' complement wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:29 pm The Pico has UART. The useful part (with all hard work done) is whether the QL device/software is available.
OK, UART to SERial easy ?

I was bidding for a QTALK on Ebay, a while back, but someone bid a ridiculous amount, which is a pity, as I was doing try and reproduce it.

Regards,

Derek
ones' complement
Over Heated PSU

We just need to know the serial protocol, the Pico just needs to emulate it, so the QTalk hardware may not be required, only the software. Is there a list of games etc that supported it?

ql_freak
Gold Card

Post by ql_freak »

Hi ones' complement,
ones' complement wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:48 pm We just need to know the serial protocol, the Pico just needs to emulate it, so the QTalk hardware may not be required, only the software. Is there a list of games etc that supported it?
one's complement wrote:

oc> ..., only the software. ...

Does anyone have this software? Then it should even be possible to implement it on QPC and perhaps even Q68, as they both support hardware (stereo?) sound.

http://peter-sulzer.bplaced.net
GERMAN! QL-Download page also available in English: GETLINE$() function, UNIX-like "ls" command, improved DIY-Toolkit function EDLINE$ - All with source. AND a good Python 3 Tutorial (German) for Win/UNIX :-)
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

I have never used QTalk, but if I were to implement a speech synthesizer that hooks to the serial port, then really, all I'd require is a baud setting (maybe flow control) and a set of commands you'd sent it (similar to AT Hayes commands). So if very little support was created by QTalk in the 80's/90's with regard to other software, then perhaps creating a simple serial-based device using the Pico that takes input in a form like this to output speech, would be ideal:

Code: Select all

SAY "Hello World"

jobdone
Forum Moderator

Post by jobdone »

Derek,
I guess UART to the QL's serial port would be a MAX232.