Minerva4Q68 SD Card Setup

The Thor, Aurora, Q40, Q60 & Q68 etc. are discussed here.
janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Re: Minerva4Q68 SD Card Setup

Post by janbredenbeek »

Hi Derek,
Derek_Stewart wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:34 pm Hi Jan,

The Q68 design has not changed. Only the operating system has changed.

My badly photograph shows Minerva booting up correctly. I was also able to read the QUBide file from the QL-SD v1
I was referring to Dilwyn's photograph which only showed 'Q68 extension ROM' without version and no message from the SD-card driver, which suggest that something keeps hanging.
I remember that later versions of the Q68 could have faster SD access due to a change in the microcode, or am I mistaken?

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

janbredenbeek wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:06 pm Hi Derek,

My badly photograph shows Minerva booting up correctly. I was also able to read the QUBide file from the QL-SD v1
I was referring to Dilwyn's photograph which only showed 'Q68 extension ROM' without version and no message from the SD-card driver, which suggest that something keeps hanging.
I remember that later versions of the Q68 could have faster SD access due to a change in the microcode, or am I mistaken?
Hi Jan,

There was a few updates since 2017, which now the Q68 FPGA code is at v1.05, which I do not know the exact details of the changes.

Regards,

Derek
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

The SMSQ/E sources do document the faster card operation to a degree (e.g. dv3_q68_win_card_xxxx_asm, dv3_q68_win_init_asm, extras_new_Q68_SDcard_speedup_txt). Explains there is a BASIC extension not in the manual which can tell if your firmware can support SD card speedup to 40MHz. On my Q68 at least PRINT CARD_SPEEDUP returns 0, explaining that the firmware in mine can't support it. Does this mean the Q68 doesn't even try to operate at the faster speed? I know mine fails to start in SMSQ/E if the speedup is configured on.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

janbredenbeek wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:06 pm Hi Derek,

The Minerva4Q68 startup stops at random points before it gets to the F1/F2 keypress. Sometimes, only one or two letters of the message appears.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Dilwyn,

I forgot about the fast SD Card access, but it is probably best to set it to 20Mhz, for both drives.

In new version of SMSQ/E v3.38 aavailable in the Q68 Support Thread. I have selected slow SD Card access.

I will upload a SD Card image for Minerva4QDOS, that I have working.

Regards,

Derek
janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

dilwyn wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:12 pm The Minerva4Q68 startup stops at random points before it gets to the F1/F2 keypress. Sometimes, only one or two letters of the message appears.
This suggests that the keyboard driver interrupt keeps hanging in a loop.
Can you try the following:

Code: Select all

base=ALCHP(100*1024)
LBYTES Q68_ROM.SYS,base
POKE_W base+50656,20081
SBYTES Q68_ROM.SYS,base,80*1024
(if you have the LRESPR'able version, add 32 to 50656 and to 80*1024. As a check, the original word at this location should read 26264 for extension ROM v1.2).

This stops the interrupt routine from looping if the keyboard status bit keeps signalling 'new keystroke'. The latter will probably indicate a hardware issue between the Q68 and the keyboard so it may not fix the problem but will allow the startup message to be displayed.
Do you have the keyboard connected via a splitter combined with a mouse?

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Patching neither the Q68_ROM.SYS nor the _rext version fixed the issue, but there is now a consistency in how far it gets. Every time now it stops after displaying the Minerva logo. If left for a few minutes, it disintegrates into random patterned screens.

Keyboard and mouse attached via Derek's PS/2 splitter cable.

Have tried with the keyboard plugged directly into the Q68 (no splitter cable), just the keyboard plugged into the splitter (no mouse), and reversed keyboard and mouse (in which case the startup stops just after the ROM check and CLOCK messages before it gets to the booting from ser message).

Keyboard and mouse work fine in SMSQ/E.
Minerva4Q68 startup
Minerva4Q68 startup

janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

Hi Dilwyn,
dilwyn wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:08 pm Patching neither the Q68_ROM.SYS nor the _rext version fixed the issue, but there is now a consistency in how far it gets. Every time now it stops after displaying the Minerva logo. If left for a few minutes, it disintegrates into random patterned screens.
Looking at the source code of SMSQ/E it appears that in v3.36 the keyboard handling code has been changed to use external interrupts in addition to polled interrupts. This might explain why Minerva hangs on your Q68; it only uses polled interrupts to read the keyboard and when an updated version of the hardware generates an external interrupt there won't be a handler to serve it, so it returns without clearing the interrupt and keeps looping forever.

Since Minerva appears to crash already before you've got a chance to press F1 or F2, there might also be some problems with hardware initialisation. The problem is that external ROM's initialisation code only gets called after Minerva has initialised the hardware and the machine is already in user mode and with interrupts enabled, so when the Q68 has already asserted the external interrupt the machine will lock up before the extension ROM even has a chance to respond to it. To fix this, the hardware initialisation code from SMSQ/E has to be backported to Minerva. Not a big deal I expect, but this requires a careful look at the SMSQ/E source code.

I'm sorry to have bothered you, but it appears that not all Q68's have been created equal...

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

I did sort-of expect this, that there had been a change in recent Q68's which affected it.

At least we tried. It would have been nice to have a dual SMSQ-E / QDOS machine, but these things happen. Thank you Jan.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

janbredenbeek wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:50 pm I'm sorry to have bothered you, but it appears that not all Q68's have been created equal...
What version of Q68 FPGA code do have installed?

There is a problem with Q68 FPGA code v1.03, v1.04

The Q68 hardware has not changed.

Why does my Q68 with FPGA code v1.05, SMSQ/E v3.38 work with Minerva4QDOS?

Maybe it is the operating system that is fault.

Regards,

Derek