Menuconfig Manual

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Menuconfig Manual

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Does anyone have the manual for Menuconfig?

I am trying to understand the "menuconfig.inf" file.

Regards,

Derek
Artificer
Over Heated PSU

Re: Menuconfig Manual

Post by Artificer »

Hi Derek,

You probably already have the manual as you supplied in the Q68 QXLwin files when I bought my Q68 from you.
Attachments
MENUCONFIG2.zip
(3.04 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have already read this, forgive me for forgetting how difficult these manuals are written, not obvious about the detail of the INF file.

Personally, I do not use INF files, as they seem to be too much trouble, even if the manual was clearly written for mere mortal like me.

Regards,

Derek
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:26 am Hi,

I have already read this, forgive me for forgetting how difficult these manuals are written, not obvious about the detail of the INF file.

Personally, I do not use INF files, as they seem to be too much trouble, even if the manual was clearly written for mere mortal like me.
I always thought the menuconfig_inf was maybe a bit over-engineered for the QL - It was intended to carry over your configs from update to update (which makes it pretty useless these days), and I actually never used it.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

tofro wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:01 am I always thought the menuconfig_inf was maybe a bit over-engineered for the QL - It was intended to carry over your configs from update to update (which makes it pretty useless these days), and I actually never used it.
I would use menuconfig_inf for SMSQ/E updates, but something in the mechanism is unreliable, at least on non-emulator systems. I repeatedly experience small unexpected issues like misbehaving configurations or menuconfig itself hanging, depending on version, prior configuration inside menuconf_inf, or hard to reproduce circumstances. Enough to be annoying, but not enough to want to debug it. So I end up using an older, seemingly more reliable, version of the menuconfig executable and doing a new manual configuration of SMSQ/E everytime there is an update.