Q68 screen dumps

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Martin_Head
Aurora

Q68 screen dumps

Post by Martin_Head »

Are there any programs about for taking screen dumps in any mode, from the Q68.

Specifically I would like to be able to save a screen dump from any Q68 screen mode. Then be able to load it into a Windows graphic program for editing.

I've seen BMP and Screen Snatcher, in the Graphics section of Dilwyn's site. But I don't know if they do what I want, or handle the Q68 screen addresses, or layouts.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: Q68 screen dumps

Post by dilwyn »

Using Screen Snatcher 4 should do the job and can save screens in high colour / high resolution modes 16, 32 and 33, as screens or PIC files. After loading it, set the options (e.g. save filename and activation key - defaults to CTRL s). When you click on GO it "hides" and waits for you to press the activation key to capture a screen shot in the current display mode.

BMP will take those and convert to BMP files for transfer to Windows, or view the files. Bob Spelten is currently updating BMP to add more QL formats.

Another option for the transfer might be Giorgio Garabello's QTImage program. IIRC this can load the PIC files and export as JPG. It's a while since I used it, I think you'll need to load the DBAS database extensions DATA_bin and/or DBAS_bin for it (unsure if both as it's a while since I used it) to be able to start up.

Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

Thanks for that. I have downloaded BMP and Screen snatcher 4. And I will have a play with them when I can get around to it.

BSJR
Trump Card

Post by BSJR »

Martin_Head wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:41 am Thanks for that. I have downloaded BMP and Screen snatcher 4. And I will have a play with them when I can get around to it.
The current BMP version 1.03 has a bug making the program freeze when trying to convert to .bmp.
Hence the upcoming upgrade. The previous v1.02 will work okay.
Another way, to snatch a standard mode 4 screen, may be the Qdesign tool Qsnap.
I don't know if the refurbished version can do bigger screens.
Once the PIC has been saved it can be viewed in BMP or SQRview. To get this to a PC image I take a PrintScr from my QPC2 window, then clean that up and convert to BMP or PNG etc. under W$.

BSJR

RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

BSJR wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:12 pmTo get this to a PC image I take a PrintScr from my QPC2 window, then clean that up and convert to BMP or PNG etc. under W$.
I think, he want to do it native on Q68.

And if you are running QPC in a window, the pixel has to be 1:1, otherwise you are loosing details.

4E75 7000
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

There is a program called "Grabit" by Phil Jones, on QL Home Page, which help, it is S*Basic.

http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/graphics/grabit430.zip

The documentation says it can grab section of the screen memory, but not sure if it handle the Q68 screen memory.

I have a few Q68 boards made, so I gave have a look.

Regards,

Derek
Artificer
Over Heated PSU

Post by Artificer »

Hi, not sure if this is exactly what you want to do but attached is Scrot.zip, containing a hotkey launched utility to read the entire Q68 screen memory with an added pic header into a file on ram1_ called scrdump_pic. Which is in mode 33 the native mode on the Q68, therefore image colours do not display well in mode 32.

I use it on my Q68. I have only tried it with the mode 16 colour resolutions. The basic code is also enclosed so it might form a basis for what you want to do.

There is also a suite of programs on Dilwyn Jones download site under utilities called CSB218. I includes apps to read the screen and copy the content to the scrap and to save the scrap content to a file as a pic or text depending on what has been on the screen. This allows the creation of pic files from parts of a screen or even an image displayed by another app.
Conversion of a pic to bmp is the easiest way to then create .jpg or other images. Dilwyn Jones has written software to do this.

Cheers
Attachments
SCROT.ZIP
(50.31 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

Artificer wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:54 pm Hi, not sure if this is exactly what you want to do but attached is Scrot.zip,
In romanian scrot means scrotum :D :D :D

Artificer
Over Heated PSU

Post by Artificer »

Andrew wrote
In romanian scrot means scrotum
That gave me a smile. Its named after the linux app with the same function which is also called scr(een)(sh)ot.

Cheers

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Andrew wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:19 pm In romanian scrot means scrotum :D :D :D
In Scottish too. Also "scrote". :D

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.