Doodle

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
RalfR
Aurora

Re: Doodle

Post by RalfR »

I know, that the the Professional Publisher uses a very clever and fast FILL routine in one of its MC extensions. One should examine this and extract the keyword. Rich has the source of the ProPub SuperBASIC from me but unfortunately I haven't got the source of the extensions from Freddy, as he did not have it.

4E75 7000
Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

Adventure Creation Tool has 2 separate extensions QFILL1 and QFILL2 that are pretty fast and can even run as a separate job
val=QFILL1([ #CHAN, ] INK1, STRING$ [ ,INK2, JOB, REPEATS ])
val=QFILL2( X, Y, INK, [ ENABLE_STIPPLE, BUFFER, JOB ])

GigaBasic, Graphic Toolkit and Nucleon have PAINT function that fills an irregular shape with a colour.
Nucleon PAINT is 600 bytes and can be separately installed using the suplied Boot-Integrator program

stevepoole
Super Gold Card

Post by stevepoole »

Hi Folks,
Thanks Ralph & Andrew for your suggestions. Now here is the final vacation Doodle (21) for this year : An animated Rythm Box, (Best using headphones).

UNZIP, LRUN, and after two startup tones, you see the BEEP parameters printed with the rythm 'symbols' below. (See notes at head of listing, and 'F$' Strings REMarks).

Hit 'p' to swap between default DrumTam and the calculated random beep_taps, (and reverse). Multitasking may cause very slight inaccuracies ?
Hitv 't' to toggle from DrumTaps to DrumRolls (and reverse). ( 16 different rythms are demonstrated).
Hit 'r' to get a new 'random Beep' selected and printed. ( Such beeps are carefully kept within suitably parameterd limits, of pitches, time steps and pitch steps).

DrumTaps are 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 & 1/32 , with 1/64 gaps (audible). Pauses may be 1/2, 1/4, 1/16, 1/32, based on 1 second. (DrumRolls use the same periods).

These beats will be incorporated into my full music project soon. They should be accurate and compatible to ALL QL systems, as they use wait loops, not PAUSEs !

Feel free to Tinker, Steve.
Beat_bas.zip
(1.7 KiB) Downloaded 102 times

stevepoole
Super Gold Card

Post by stevepoole »

Hi Folks,
Just back from vacation, and had a quick test of Beat_bas under SGC, QDOS & SMSQ/E, and it works fine, although on such QLs, volumes are faint...

Also on two old PCs with different clock rates, and the rythms all match perfectly. Headphones or earphones are a must though, as again speaker volumes are faint.

So if I can network my three PCs, I could have 3 drummers playing simultaneously ! ?

Regards, Steve.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

stevepoole wrote:Hi Folks,
Just back from vacation, and had a quick test of Beat_bas under SGC, QDOS & SMSQ/E, and it works fine, although on such QLs, volumes are faint...

Also on two old PCs with different clock rates, and the rythms all match perfectly. Headphones or earphones are a must though, as again speaker volumes are faint.

So if I can network my three PCs, I could have 3 drummers playing simultaneously ! ?

Regards, Steve.
A well-known drummer died and went to heaven. He was waiting outside the pearly gates when he heard the most incredible fast and furious beats coming from within. Immediately he rushed to ask St. Peter if that was Steve Poole playing drums using his QL beatbox software inside the gates. St. Peter responded: "No, that's God. He just thinks he's Steve Poole."
:twisted:

stevepoole
Super Gold Card

Post by stevepoole »

Hi Again people,

Thank you Dilwyn. The halo fell around my throat and nearly strangled me... But I liked the joke ok !

Just had a test of Spook_bas (under SGC QDOS and SMSQ/E) and found a couple of bugs on those systems :

PLAY is a reserves EXTRA on QPC2 v5.00, so I altered it to PLAYY. Under QDOS, 8 colours needed MODE 8, else the score count appeared to be wrong.

SGC QDOS has a less instant keypress reaction time, so on a 128ko QL, expect poor keying response... (Sorry for such users).

I can't tell if it all works under other emulators though. Here is the revised version, (if you found any problems). Do make sure you can see the small blue circles...

Regards, cSteve.
Spook2_bas.zip
(2.22 KiB) Downloaded 99 times

stevepoole
Super Gold Card

Post by stevepoole »

Hi again,

Just a reminder that Spook2_bas, written on a Qwerty keyboard, now uses the arrow keys, 's' & 'x' to move the man around and in depth, (Not the old numpad keys).

If you chosse the layer=9 option at the head of the listing, make sure you adjust your monochrome monitors to be able to see all stipples correctly.

For full playing instructions, please refer to the original Spook_bas.zip forum entry. I hope you enjoy this 3D game.

Regards, Steve.

stevepoole
Super Gold Card

Post by stevepoole »

Hi,

This evening I have started testing the previous Doodles on other PCs, SGC (QDOS & SMSQ/E), and for compatibility, you may wish to alter the programs thus :

On slower systems, REMark out line 250 in Boing_bas. Use MODE 8 with Fashion_bas. (Chasm_bas, Steve_bas and Beat_bas must use MODE 4 only ! )

As mentioned before, Spook_bas on QLs must be MODE 8.)

I will report back on the other Doodle's compatibility in due course.

Regards, Steve.

stevepoole
Super Gold Card

Post by stevepoole »

Hi Again,

After some more compatibility testing on Doodles :

FractalArt_bas on QLs needs MODE 8, Ok under SMSQ/E but has poor definition under QDOS ! Phantasia & Dream8bas need MODE 8 on QLs.

Busy_bas needs v Busy2_bas and MODE 8 on QLs. HIT arrow keys to move OR spacebar to halt OR (e)scape...

Web_bas on QLs needs line 140:5 s=0 to be added. Tolerably fast under SMSQ/E, but sluggish under QDOS.

Boxes_bas just needs Mode 8 with QLs, and is fast enough. That's all for now folks.

Steve.
Busy2_bas.zip
(1.16 KiB) Downloaded 81 times

stevepoole
Super Gold Card

Post by stevepoole »

Hi,

More Doodle checking done. Here are the changes required for QLs on earlier doodles :

Isle2_bas is now modified and in Mode 8 with an ESCape exit. Tombstone2_bas now has clearer messages, and an ESCape exit. (MODE 4).

Yoshida2_Bas Let 120:5 be PC=1 or PC=0 for QLs. MODE is 8, BREAK to quit. Much work was needed for QLs, OK under SMSQ/E, but QDOS handles some ARCs badly...

Okavongo_bas and Theater_bas need MODE 8 on QLs. Cheops2_bas has an ESCape now. Alter line 120 to PC=1 or PC=0 for QLs.

Regars, Steve.
Isle2_bas.zip
(1.35 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
Tombstone2_bas.zip
(1.04 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Yoshida2_bas.zip
(1.01 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Cheops2_bas.zip
(835 Bytes) Downloaded 84 times