Have a Sinclair QL? Please run it for me!

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Exile
ROM Dongle

Re: Have a Sinclair QL? Please run it for me!

Post by Exile »

XorA wrote:
It is unusual that sQLux is faster than the real iron for the 1st picture (1.88 vs 2.16) but slower for the 12th picture (13.12 vs 12.7).
sQLux makes no attempt at accurately emulating CPU speed. @Exile did a good job of using number of instructions emulated hueristic to give you approx speed. But the actually speed depends on whether they are slow or quick instructions on real hardware. Also sQLux slows down a lot under heavy screen updates as every write to screen goes immediately to screen!
As XorA says, currently when emulating a BBQL at stock speed, sQLux runs a fixed number of instructions (6000) every 50Hz tick. In theory it would be possible to count 68008 clock ticks, rather than instructions. I've just checked, and the data is in Appendix E of the M68000 Programmer's Reference Manual I bought in 1984 and have kept ever since. All that is needed then is to add in the bus contention accessing RAM :D However, there may be more efficient ways to achieve tick counts, rather than extend the current 68000 emulator in sQLux.

At BBQL speeds the SDL screen updates may be "free" as they can be achieved within a 50Hz tick, even after the emulated instructions have been processed