sQLux v1.0 (The Xmas Turkey)

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Re: sQLux v1.0 (The Xmas Turkey)

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Sorry, it was not meant to be a criticism of you at all! Apologies if that is how it came across.

It's genuine surprise - I thought the menu would kick off the sqlux binary, and that would read the file and the contents of that would be relative to the binary location. As when you run it from the terminal.
I thought it was a Gnome menu peculiarity.

Anyway, it's good, it is making me learn more Linux concepts as I slowly migrate off Macs.

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Sparrowhawk wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:30 pm Sorry, it was not meant to be a criticism of you at all! Apologies if that is how it came across.

It's genuine surprise - I thought the menu would kick off the sqlux binary, and that would read the file and the contents of that would be relative to the binary location. As when you run it from the terminal.
I thought it was a Gnome menu peculiarity.

Anyway, it's good, it is making me learn more Linux concepts as I slowly migrate off Macs.
No criticism taken, its just a slightly complex subject that I had not chosen to solve yet :-D

You should in the .desktop file for the icon be able to add.

Code: Select all

Path=/opt/something/sqlux
to set the directory it runs in.

Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Thanks, that's good to know :)

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Maybe sQLux could pre-compiled and put into a Docker file with all the patgs and WIN drives setup.

But I like to compile and config the software myself.

Regards,

Derek
XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:00 pm Hi,

Maybe sQLux could pre-compiled and put into a Docker file with all the patgs and WIN drives setup.

But I like to compile and config the software myself.
Now your just trying to torture people :-D

AppImage would be more appropriate, and again patches welcome as its not something I would use myself!

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Just a note that @ppe changed the qlforum sQLux install to be a 4:3 screen filling the canvas rather than a 4:3 screen in a wider canvas. I think this looks much better!

ql_freak
Gold Card

Post by ql_freak »

Question (haven't used uQLx [from Richard] a long time). Does the current version finally supports the IO.OPEN Trap#2 with bit 3 (overwrite) set?

My version doesn't :-( But it seems not to be such a big problem :-) Because the MicroDrives (w.o TK2) also didn't support overwriting, most programs (e.g. MasterSpy) were written to first delete the old file and write the current file (in RAM) with the same filename.

p.s.: MasterSpy (one of my favourites editors) has a problem on SMSQ. It opens a guardian window, which covers the whole screen. If this could be configurable, that would be an excellent, simple editor (supports as MicroEmacs multiple files) - albeit it's reentrant (pure).

p.p.s: And it supports binary files :-D

http://peter-sulzer.bplaced.net
GERMAN! QL-Download page also available in English: GETLINE$() function, UNIX-like "ls" command, improved DIY-Toolkit function EDLINE$ - All with source. AND a good Python 3 Tutorial (German) for Win/UNIX :-)
XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

ql_freak wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:56 am Question (haven't used uQLx [from Richard] a long time). Does the current version finally supports the IO.OPEN Trap#2 with bit 3 (overwrite) set?

My version doesn't :-( But it seems not to be such a big problem :-) Because the MicroDrives (w.o TK2) also didn't support overwriting, most programs (e.g. MasterSpy) were written to first delete the old file and write the current file (in RAM) with the same filename.

p.s.: MasterSpy (one of my favourites editors) has a problem on SMSQ. It opens a guardian window, which covers the whole screen. If this could be configurable, that would be an excellent, simple editor (supports as MicroEmacs multiple files) - albeit it's reentrant (pure).

p.p.s: And it supports binary files :-D
Do you have a simple test case for this?

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have sQLux: Minerva v1.98, 16384Kb Ram, Resolution 1460x512 to fill the 23" LCD monitor scrren, running with the Extended Environment, QPAC2, Master Spy, MicroEmacs.
Master Spy
Master Spy
All seems to work great.

Regards,

Derek
ql_freak
Gold Card

Post by ql_freak »

XorA wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:05 am
ql_freak wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:56 am Question (haven't used uQLx [from Richard] a long time). Does the current version finally supports the IO.OPEN Trap#2 with bit 3 (overwrite) set?
Do you have a simple test case for this?
It should be sufficient to create a new file from SuperBASIC, and then try to OPEN_OVER from SuperBASIC:

100 REMark Test for overwriting'
110 REMark Requires SuperToolkit 2
120 OPEN_NEW#4,'WIN1_tmp_DeleteMe_txt'
130 PRINT#4,'Test for overwritng'
140 CLOSE#4
150 VIEW'WIN1_tmp_DeleteMe_txt'
160 OPEN_OVER#4,'WIN1_tmp_DeleteMe_txt'
170 PRINT#4,'Overwriting is working'
180 CLOSE#4
190 VIEW'WIN1_tmp_DeleteMe_txt'
Output should be

Test for overwriting

Overwriting is working
Another test to see that a pure QL without TK2 does not support overwriting on microdrive (to my knowledge all Floppy controller supported overwriting) is trying to copy a file to a file which has the same name as an existing file. Create a file MDV1_existing and another file MDV1_test and then enter:

copy 'MDV1_test' to 'MDV1_existing'

This does not work on a pure QL (not even with JS and MGG ROM AFAICR, but definitely not with JM).

http://peter-sulzer.bplaced.net
GERMAN! QL-Download page also available in English: GETLINE$() function, UNIX-like "ls" command, improved DIY-Toolkit function EDLINE$ - All with source. AND a good Python 3 Tutorial (German) for Win/UNIX :-)