PiStorm

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
stephen_usher
Gold Card

Re: PiStorm

Post by stephen_usher »

Does the QL use the bus arbitration signals? If so then the Atari ST project firmware may help. (Via Exxos Forum: https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/view ... =29&t=5470)

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Theres also been some movement on the Buffee side recently. (The main developer has been unwell for some time, hence the hiatus.)

While I dont claim to understand all the ins and out of the matter (Im sure there are plenty here who can disabuse me), to me the Buffee sounds like the more interesting prospect as its aim is to be a CPU emulator, untied to any specific platform like Amiga or ST. It runs without an intermediary OS on an ARM Cortex A8. Which would you prefer? This
Buffee
Buffee
Or this:
PiStorm
PiStorm
Either way, creating a new "QL" platform around either of these would only be worth the effort if a significant speed increase could be achieved..

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
desin
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by desin »

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

pjw wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:51 pm While I dont claim to understand all the ins and out of the matter (Im sure there are plenty here who can disabuse me), to me the Buffee sounds like the more interesting prospect as its aim is to be a CPU emulator, untied to any specific platform like Amiga or ST.
The apporach sounds nice, but I have lost hope. Buffee relies on yet another emulator written from scratch, no sources available. Looks way to immature to be useful for us within this decade.
pjw wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:51 pm Either way, creating a new "QL" platform around either of these would only be worth the effort if a significant speed increase could be achieved..
And by this you mean: Compared to the 80 MHz Q60. Which leaves only something PiStorm-like with EMU68 in the race.

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

desin wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:19 pm next step ?
Any hint what you mean? I don't speak french and automatic translation also didn't make me much wiser.

desin
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by desin »

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

Thanks. I looked into that years ago. Debugging for QL purposes would require an unknown amout of paid support. Like PiStorm, nobody seems to have tested it with QDOS Classic on Amiga, so it's unknown if it can execute demanding QL code correctly.

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Buffee is some super vapourware, its been going a decade and no-one has seen anything!

Apollo core AFAIK does not implement TAS instruction, and I think QL software was apparently fond of that instruction!

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

XorA wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:06 pm Buffee is some super vapourware, its been going a decade and no-one has seen anything!
Thanks for speaking more frankly than me. ;)
XorA wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:06 pm Apollo core AFAIK does not implement TAS instruction, and I think QL software was apparently fond of that instruction!
Thanks for the info. And that's most likely not the only QL incompatibility. I spent years debugging the TG68 - not in the mood to do the same again for a CPU core of higher complexity, where I have to pay for support.

Mark Swift
ROM Dongle

Post by Mark Swift »

Hi
Don't know much about pistorm on Amiga but it's possible that the kickrom and disk image here https://www.qlforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=7347 would work to get qdos classic going. No idea if the qubide disk image would work with hdf2emu68 though.