Q68 support thread

The Thor, Aurora, Q40, Q60 & Q68 etc. are discussed here.
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Q68 support thread

Post by Pr0f »

In my research into my issue - I came across a Microchip article - https://www.microchip.com/en-us/application-notes/tb055#

Not sure which way around this works - but it may be a possible avenue...

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Here is a picture of the Black Box USB-PS2 adapter:
Black Box USB-PS2 Adapter
Black Box USB-PS2 Adapter
It looks to be a double sided PCB, with a few custom chips.

Regards,

Derek
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

That middle chip is in the Belkin KVM I have - it's from Cypress - "Embedded USB Host/Slave Controller" - can be configured as either the host or one of several peripheral types. Interfaces to a micro.

In the KVM it's a host controller for the keyboard and mouse if plugged into USB ports.

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

Well - someone mentioned voltages - I should have been more suspicious.

So the Belkin KVM I had originally came with a 12V 1.5A wall wart PSU - I did check the voltage on this when I got it a couple of years back, and it was 12V - and the unit booted up ok, to all intents and appearances - and it did work with a PC that I plugged in - but it seems the PSU wasn't doing it's proper job and so the KVM's circuitry was struggling to cope with a power supply that collapsed under load.

Result - when the new KVM came yesterday it was boxed and came with a PSU - so I tried that PSU and what do you know - not only does the new KVM work a treat, but so do my other 2 8 port ones ! (I feel a sale coming on ;-) )

Follow on question - the message about the mouse shoots off the screen so quick when the Q68 boots - I can't see what mouse it detected - is there a way to ascertain which mouse type it detected, is this stored anywhere in a sysvar? Any quick way to test the mouse on Q68 for scroll wheel support?

It's working on a PC - but I want to check if the Q68 is having that all important conversation with the Belkin and getting back the correct response.

I will do some more tests:

Test USB keyboard and mouse on the KVM with the Q68 (you can use either usb or ps/2 on the console - but both devices must be the same - and all the server ports should be either ps/2 or usb - but not mixed - but they can be different from the console devices.

Test booting up Q68 with the KVM switched to another host

Test USB scroll wheel mouse

Test wireless mouse and keyboard set (usb)

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

I just realised - I can probably take the sd card out and then power up the Q68 - will do that when I get back into the man cave...

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

What version of Q68 FPGA code, there was a change the the FPGA code to use USB Mouse and keyboard.

The Q68 version can be seen on the boot loader screen without an SD Card in the Slot 1.

The mouse speed can changed from SBASIC with the command MOUSE_SPEED

I usually set the mouse speed to 5, but this is dependant on the mouse being used.

If you have QPAC2 loaded the mouse speed can be changed in the SYSDEF thing.

Regards,

Derek
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

I powered up the Q68 with the SD card removed - and I can see it detects extended mouse - happy days

I also plugged usb keyboard and usb scroll optical mouse into console - and Q68 boots fine, again detecting extended mouse :-)

And I also switched KVM to another input and powered up the Q68, when switching back it shows it's still detecting everything properly.

Still to test:

What happens with a simpler mouse - I have to find one first!

Does wireless keyboard/mouse work?

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

I will check FPGA version next time - when I complete the testing.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

HI,

I have tested some a Logitech KF400Plus and an unbranded Chinese Wireless mouse and keyboard with the Black Box Adpater, the WIFI transmitter/receiver was inserted into the USB connection of the Black Box Adapter.
The setup connected to the Q68 by the PS/2 splitter, which worked OK, but I did not like the PS/2 Splitter and Black Box arrangement , so I put that on hold.

Regards,

Derek
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

Well - not sure if I've identified the FPGA version, the only version that comes up on startup is ROM loader version - which is 1.00

My belkin KVM firmware is 1V4 - there is a 1V5 available - but apart from one small issue, it seems to pass all tests, so not sure an upgrade would be needed.

So today I checked USB wireless Microsoft keyboard and mouse which use a single dongle type interface - this works, but the keyboard membrane has issues - so no arrow keys! Scroll mouse works a treat though

I was also able to test with an ordinary 2 button PS/2 - but the Q68 still identifies extended mouse - so I am guessing the Belkin isn't clever enough to pass through the console device specifications to the server ports. But at least it identifies as extended.

This makes the Belkin quite a useful beast after all - offering PS/2, USB or wireless mouse / keyboard options through USB.