QL Tinkering

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: QL Tinkering

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Here is an update to QBQLSoundsv4 that work with Minerva and QDOS: JS, JM etc...
QBQLSounds41.zip
(7.29 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
I have left the OPEN & channel statements as they are, as not everyone uses Toolkit 2?

Regards,

Derek
qbits
Trump Card

Post by qbits »

Derick

Still with earlier version 2019/2020 of QLSound. Please take a look at the QLSoundSE version I’ve just released with the QBITS 2023 Review on page 26.

Be happy to help in anyway with QLSMI.

QBITS

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

My Apologies for using an old version.

I usually load SBASIC files with Fileinfo2 and execute, the QLSoundSE_bas programme needs channels #0,#1,#2 opened before it will work correctly.

A little request, could the notes on the Score Sheet change colour when being played?

Regards,

Derek
qbits
Trump Card

Post by qbits »

Derek

It could be done but would add an increased overhead for lower speed platforms.
If you hadn't noticed the central RED Pointer moves along the row indiacting the Note being played.
Pointing Up for first row then down for lower row.

For older versions of the operating system changing #0 #1 #2 especially #1 might be more problematic with the graphics.

QBITS
Attachments
QLSoundSE.jpg

qbits
Trump Card

Post by qbits »

Hi all,
Some indecisions on my part have the QBITS PIXEL Art Project languishing in a bit of a Quadri!
The PIXEL Art concept for developing a Retro Game was planned as four stages

1 The Sprite Generator with varying bitmap grid sizes. The basics for design having been met, it’s the grid configuration to screen delaying progress.
2 The Tile arrangements in creating backgrounds again is dependent on a grid size 8x8 or 16x16 and the handling of multiple Tile Sprite Characters.
3. Deciding and implementation of control settings for movable Sprites. What to include, auto, manual directions, speed, bounce, explode, etc
4. Developing the Game action settings and test of game.

The Tile grid size determines the number of cells for the background screens for example 8x8 will be 40 columns and 24 rows for the 320x192 screen. A 16x16 Tile size will create a 20 by 12 Cell grid per screen. The Multiple screens being to expand the challenges that can be set.

The flexibility of the Sprites Generator in using various grid sizes requires stepped increases compatible with the Tile matrix size to facilitate converting to multiple Tiles. Deploying Tiles when designing the background screen, being able to set multiple tiles in a row or column with cursors keys is one thing but selecting a coordinate and deploying a multiple Tile Sprite Character is another. For me the presentation of how these various options are displayed to screen being a contentious issue.

So here is how some of my ideas for screen layouts are progressing.

QBITS
Attachments
QBITS PIXEL Art.jpg

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

:) :)

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

I'm sure a lot of us wish we had the QBITS talent for designing screen layouts :)

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

dilwyn wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:47 pm I'm sure a lot of us wish we had the QBITS talent for designing screen layouts :)
Very true indeed!

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Loaded the QBIT review onto the Q68, in DISP_MODE 6 - 512x384:
IMG_20231120_112414802.jpg
Just having a round of Golf.
IMG_20231120_112449295.jpg

Regards,

Derek
qbits
Trump Card

Post by qbits »

Hi,
Well Thank you for your encouraging interest in QBITS Progs and my latest venture QBITS_PIXArt

Where did it all start, well Cristian if I have to blame anyone, its probably down to you suggesting I should create a book out of my Progs pdf’s and as you can see things have been progressing. However it wouldn’t be without input from Andrew, Norman, Steve , Rich (RWAP), vanpeebles and others. Dilwyn most of my QL expertise has been acquired by investing time in your QL Home Page. Where would I be without it! Derek I hope your handicap is improving (Playing QBITS Golf). Who knows I might be tempted in the New Year to get my soldering iron out and upgrade one of my BBQL’s with Q68 components.

However back to the Present and WIP, I have uploaded the first Step off QBITS PIXArt ie the Sprite Generator this has varying Grid sizes based on 8bit increments. Down load the Zip file and install QBITSConfig and QBITS_PIXArt_SGen to win1_ or If not you will need to make some changes to QBITS_PIXArt_SGen, Load the file and use the Interpreters Edit command to change ‘win1_’ on line 1002 to your preferred Drive. If it successfully loads and runs then press any key to clear the Help screen and then ‘L’ to load the demo _bmp file QBPIXArt02_bmp I’ve supplied.

With the Sprites displayed to screen Press ‘+’ to show Sprite in BITMAP Edit Mode. Pressing + or – moves forward and back through the Sprites. On the Left-hand side of screen, you have (G)RID to change Size (N)ew (C)opy and (D)elete [Press key in bracket] with Edit Guide below a Pixel size Sprite Display. Keys Xx Yy Zz and shift+Cursors controls Flip Roll or slid horizontally or vertically of grid cells. Select # and ALT+Cursors and you can carry out the Edit actions in a smaller area of the Bitmap Grid. On the Right-hand side of screen, you have the Colour Palette, Spacebar toggles on/off colour of grid cell. Press R to toggle on/off Rubber. This restores Grid cell to background colour. BackGnd colour can be changed by pressing ‘B’. Select colours with TAB : Shift TAB or < > Chevron keys then Enter to change or Spacebar to abort. Press P allows changes to be made to a selected Palette entry 8 to 15. The intension is to add a Palette list to the header of the saved Bitmap file but this has not been implemented as of yet.

Selecting ‘L’ prompts for selection of Drive - Space/Enter will carry out a search. All files found can then be scroll through, make a choice and Load with Enter. Selecting ‘S’ to save your Sprites similarly prompts for a drive to be selected. The default or last filename is presented. Press (E)dit to type a new name. Saving may give a DEVICE ERROR or Overwrite Y/N if all is not OK. Pressing ‘F’ allows changes to the drives and add of a SUB Directory if required.

Please bear in mind the code development has been with a QPC2 environment on a desktop with processing in excess of a 1000xBBQL speed. How it will perform with other QL Platforms I wait to hear. Painfully slow I expect, the memory requirements for the array sizes and use of floating numbers will be part of the cause, integers not a great improvement. Direct memory access with use of peek and poke might be the way to go. As the Grid size increases the edit functions shift left right up down etc will be slower. Compiling may help considerably, but I’m still experimenting with better ways using the Interpreter and S/SuperBASIC commands. A minimum platform requirement will therefore be expanded memory, TK2 and probably a 50xBBQL plus processing speed.

A full explanation in the form of my usual pdf will accompany the completed Prog, but for now I hope this is enough to get anyone started in creating Sprites of various grid sizes, or feel free to use any of the code to adapt for their own use. Also, any suggestions towards improved coding will be appreciated.

May The TINKERING in QL S/SuperBASIC be with YOU…

QBITS
Attachments
QBITS_PIXArt_SGen.zip
(10.8 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
QBITS PIXEL Art 02.jpg