Contact for Computer One FORTH

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
georgeo
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Contact for Computer One FORTH

Post by georgeo »

Hi everyone,

Following up on my previous post about the Computer One FORTH interpreter/ compiler, I'm on the hunt for the manual. I've found a fuzzy scan on a Spanish website [http://sinclairql.speccy.org/archivo/docs/docs.htm], which is reasonably legible (once you reorder the pages correctly!). However, I'm hoping to do better.

Does anyone have a link to a better scan of the manual or -- better still -- does anyone have a contact address for the author, which I believe is Paul Ives of Computer One Limited, Cambridge.

If I manage to contact Paul, I'll also check for other manuals, and try to get distribution status for FORTH.

Thanks in advance,
Georgeo.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Contact for Computer One FORTH

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Georgeo,

The Computer 1 Forth Manual was on my line of manuals to improve.

I have converted the PDF file to TIFF and just have to clean the rubbish in the file.

Once this has been done, I will OCR the file and produce a new PDF or Ebook.

Can you wait a while till I get this done.

I do not have the Computer One Forth software.

Regards,

Derek
georgeo
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by georgeo »

Hi Derek,

Thanks. Any chance you could send me a copy of the TIFF for the meantime. The version I have from Spain is missing pages one, two and three, which I suspect provide copyright information. Furthermore, some of the later pages are difficult to read, which meant I was grappling with Screen management for some time on Tuesday.

I'd be happy to help with OCR/ proofing the manual if useful.

Thanks again,
Georgeo

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Georgeo,

The scanning performed is awlful, all the pages are mixed up

I have imported the PDF in ABBYY Fne Reader 11 Corporate Edition and put all the pages in the correct order.

The orginal scanned manual, had 2 A5 pages on one A4 scan, ABBYY Reader splits the 2 A5 pages on one sheet to 2 individual pages. Which make book scanning a lot simpler.

I was going to screen scrap the OCRed PDF file into Word format and correct any spelling mistakes due to OCR error.

I can send you the ordered PDF file or TIFF files. But I would like to produce a Word or Libreoffice file first, it is more easy to correct.

Regards,

Derek
georgeo
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by georgeo »

Hi Derek,

Thanks again. If you want to split the Word version in two, I'm happy to tackle the spelling and typos in one half.

With regard to the current status, I'm trying to track down the copyright holders, to determine whether or not they'll give permission to distribute. Computer One was liquidated in the mid-80's and it's assets were passed to its creditors, plus it looks as if C1 FORTH is a port of an early CP/M FORTH 68k compiler, written for the Sage II system, so there are at least three parties who may hold the copyright for some or all of the software.

If you could let me know if there is a copyright statement in the manual you have, this would be very helpful, as I can't find any copyright statement in my (incomplete) scan of the manual nor in the software!

Thanks again,
George.

Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Post by Outsoft »

georgeo wrote:Hi everyone,

Following up on my previous post about the Computer One FORTH interpreter/ compiler, I'm on the hunt for the manual. I've found a fuzzy scan on a Spanish website [http://sinclairql.speccy.org/archivo/docs/docs.htm], which is reasonably legible (once you reorder the pages correctly!). However, I'm hoping to do better.

Does anyone have a link to a better scan of the manual or -- better still -- does anyone have a contact address for the author, which I believe is Paul Ives of Computer One Limited, Cambridge.

If I manage to contact Paul, I'll also check for other manuals, and try to get distribution status for FORTH.

Thanks in advance,
Georgeo.
I'm scanning all my original manuals for the Italian QL preservation at 1200 dpi

Soon we will put on online as the free SW preserved and linked :-)

The work is very hard but will be a very good waiting :-)

georgeo
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by georgeo »

Hi Simon,

This will make a useful resource. Do you know if C1 FORTH manual is in your collection? The version Derek and I have is missing first two pages.

Good luck with scanning,
Georgeo.

Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Post by Outsoft »

georgeo wrote:Hi Simon,

This will make a useful resource. Do you know if C1 FORTH manual is in your collection? The version Derek and I have is missing first two pages.

Good luck with scanning,
Georgeo.
I will come back home today from holidays.

I will check in the next few days and I will tell you.

Best regards

Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Post by Outsoft »

georgeo wrote:Hi Simon,

Good luck with scanning,
Georgeo.
C1 FORTH, ASSEMBLER, MONITOR, PASCAL I have it originals.

Forth Manual yes I have it and seems complete.

Need to scan it at my office because here I haven't a decent scanner (only a small documental that I use for the inlays) ;)

georgeo
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by georgeo »

Hi Simon,

That's excellent news. I'll stop retyping the existing manual scan by hand!

Looking forward to it,
Georgeo.