UK Sinclair QL Microdrives not working in the USA

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Re: UK Sinclair QL Microdrives not working in the USA

Post by Outsoft »

AustinDan wrote:hi,
I recently purchased 2 fully working QL's in the UK and now have them proudly showcased in my humble computer museum in Texas, US. That's the good news. The bad news is this:

One of the QL's does the normal Drive 1 test at startup looking for a tape etc. However, it (and drive 2) both fail to load known working tape media. The drives simply spin continuously without loading data.

The mystery then gets even weirder: the 2nd QL boots just fine but refuses to even recognize or acknowledge that drives 1 and 2 even exist. Same thing if i connect an external micro drive as drive 3 (i know the drive is fine as i use it with my Spectrum with no issues). AM wondering if there is some type of issue with the drive controller (if there is such a thing?).

Anyone got any suggestions as to what is going on and how to fix it? I have tried both machines using a Native QL 110V US power supply as well as a UK 240V QL power supply running through a 110V to 240V converter.

This may sound odd but could it be connected with the fact that the US runs at 60HZ instead of the UK 50HZ power?

Big case of beer for anyone that can help me with these 2 machines!
Dan
How It can be possible to connect a THIRD MD drive on QL? A Spectrum one? ;)

dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: UK Sinclair QL Microdrives not working in the USA

Post by dilwyn »

Spectrum microdrives can be connected to QL using a ZX Microdrive cable connected to the QL microdrive expansion slot on the right of the QL, but 2 issues will arise:

1. The Microdrive will end up facing backward, away from you

2. Spectrum Microdrive drives may fail to format cartridges when connected to a QL (read and write is usually OK otherwise). No idea why.