Retrofit mICE from Eidersoft / PS2 mouse Adapter

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
QLObi
ROM Dongle

Retrofit mICE from Eidersoft / PS2 mouse Adapter

Post by QLObi »

Hi QL fans,
just a short time ago, a not working mICE ROM dongle with mouse from Eidersoft was send to me by friend for repair. The biggest part of the story is published in a German speaking forum (tlienhard), but this might be also useful for the English speaking QL world. The story ends up with a complete and working retrofit of the old Eidersoft ROm-Dongle and by the way an adapter which allows to use USB mices (with PS2 compatbility mode) at this interface. All project details are in the added english WORD doc, including the repair of the original EIDERSOFT mouse. The files is split into 3 parts due to board restrictions.
The schematic and layout has been build and tested by a couple of users.
This ROM dongle also works with the older, but cursor key driven ICE 1.12 ROM, so no mouse is needed.

Copyright of my part (PS/2 Adapter) is Detlef Obermann, but free for non commercial use !
I like to get feedback on this project.
Attachments
Retrofit mICE Interface für Sinclair QL.part3.rar
(2.95 KiB) Downloaded 324 times
Retrofit mICE Interface für Sinclair QL.part2.rar
(250 KiB) Downloaded 329 times
Retrofit mICE Interface für Sinclair QL.part1.rar
(250 KiB) Downloaded 337 times
Last edited by QLObi on Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

QLObi
ROM Dongle

Re: Retrofit mICE from Eidersoft / PS2 mouse Adapter

Post by QLObi »

It looks like the embedding of the files mentioned in the document hadn't worked, so the files are here separate.

QLOBI
Attachments
QL PS2 Maus V1.03.rar
Eagle files for PS/2 Adapter
(3.61 KiB) Downloaded 601 times
mICEV2.rar
Eagle files for mICE ROM dongle
(41.44 KiB) Downloaded 544 times
mICE Adapter.rar
BASCOM source for PS/2 Adapter
(35.48 KiB) Downloaded 584 times

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

Hi QLObi

This looks very interesting. I have read through your document.

I'm currently working on other projects, so do not have time at the moment, but if/when I find the time, I may well have a go at making one of these.

So thank you for posting it :D

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Looks great, I would have a go at building this.

Do you have the PCBs already made.

Derek

Regards,

Derek
QLObi
ROM Dongle

Post by QLObi »

Hi Derek,
I still have two full assembled mICE at home, but no PCBs only anymore. I am on holiday for the rest of the week, so i can act. For the PS2 adapter you can have the pcb, but are you able to program it yourselve?
Don't forget that you also can run the mICE with the version 1.12 which is driven with the cursor keys. And by the way, you can put this version also on a normal EPROM dongle.
I put the component prices in the appendix, sorry its in german, but easy to identify the components.
I am strictly non commercial, but i want to have the money back. The most expensive part is the mICE pcb, from which i ordered 6, so i end up which 16 Euro each. Its in a very professionell quality.

QLObi
Attachments
Cost breakdown in German
Cost breakdown in German

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I notice in the PDF file describing the project, it is said, that Atari Mouse can not be used.

I have just found my old ICE Rom Dongle Unit, which I used many years ago on a Supergold Card QL, but the ICE Mouse got damaged and did not work. I rewired the mouse interface to accept an Atari Mouse, but this only had 2 buttons, but still allowed the ICR Rom Unit to work with Atari Mouse and probably Amiga Mouse, since there is a 2 lines differing from the Amiga and Atari Mice.

Here is a photograph of the Atari Mouse Connection, just a simple rewire of the ICE Mouse connection:
ICE ROM Unit with Atari Mouse Interface connections
ICE ROM Unit with Atari Mouse Interface connections
I have got the wiring connections details somewhere, which I will post when I find them.

Derek

Regards,

Derek
QLObi
ROM Dongle

Post by QLObi »

Hi Derek,
would be nice to get the drawing, but i am not able to test. I don't have a Atari or Amiga mouse.
The Atari is a 2 button mouse, but ICE requires 3 buttons! Is there a workaround?

QLObi

prime
Trump Card

Post by prime »

Is it possible to get the mICE 2.1 ROM anywhere ?

From the schematics it should be possible to get my QIMI clone to also implement an I/O port in the correct format for mICE, but obviously I'd need to patch the ROM to read from the new address rather than $0FFFE/$0FFFF.

Cheers.

Phill.