Sandy Electronics change in direction...

A place to discuss general QL issues.
schombi
Chuggy Microdrive

Re: Sandy Electronics change in direction...

Post by schombi »

I can fully understand this change in direction. I´d love to see the UltimIDE and the Q-Regulator, but I´m desperate for the SuperRAM. Any update on the ETA?
Last edited by schombi on Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

belg4rion67
Trump Card

Post by belg4rion67 »

Dave wrote:Hey now!

I've made some decisions so far, but not others.

I have some orders I need to get mailed out, and then I'll let y'all know what I've decided. Just know that my choices are all about increasing the chances that the core projects come off successfully, and on a good timescale.
You will have our full support about your choice

Go ahead :D

Only original hardware! :)
stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

For the longevity of the original QL software I think your marvellous production of the Microdrive pads is a godsend. It's effectively saving the archive for posterity.

As for the other stuff, do only as much as you feel that you can and enjoy it. There's no need to push too hard, especially as this is a niche community now.

schombi
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by schombi »

I don´t want to push or put on any pressure, but this divine/satanic piece of hardware, called QL-SD has just increased the need for a decent RAM expansion ;)

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Well, after that little debacle, things are getting back on track. The fund has been replenished, which means the orders of the last few days can be mailed out over the next couple of days. I used to receive the funds up to a month after the order was placed, that has now dropped to seven, then two days. It was a horrible feeling to find I'd spend the funds on side projects and was stuck with my core projects.

My next payment will come in on Friday and everything will magically unclog.

I have signed up for an accounting class.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

So, here's the result of my thinking: :)

What I want is to make great add-ons for the QL. I don't really want to become a general QL trader. To be honest, that aspect doesn't interest me - it may well be rewarding but it would be unprofitable, and Rich at RWAP already does a far better job at it than I ever could.

I want to focus on making specific items that solve defined problems, then sell those items off the shelf until they're gone.

If I am honest with myself, I have really messed up the beginning of this business. I have had horrible mailing problems, but also my self-discipline is quite poor. I'd rather be designing and building things than keeping track of paid invoices and accounts, etc!

So, over the next few weeks I'll have a good clean-out, and then really get down to focusing on what matters.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

A little update:

My extended vacation is coming to a close gradually. My day job for this month has already wound up and I have one little road trip to finish and them my summer activities will be complete.

I mailed out a couple of orders today for felt pads that came in over the last few weeks. I also replied to a couple of email, and will reply to more when I have finished digging through the spam.

I've issued a couple of refunds, and a couple of people have very kindly offered to be very patient with me.

I think it will be standard that I will always be on vacation from June through the end of August in future years. I have kayaking and paragliding and hiking and carpentry to do!

belg4rion67
Trump Card

Post by belg4rion67 »

oh lucky man... :D
for me is a good thing if I'll take a week on adriatic sea this year... ;)
... but I think also that your holydays are very energy expensive!
have a nice days!
Ciao!
Paolo

Only original hardware! :)
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Hehe, yes. Energy expensive. I lost 13 lbs (5.9 kg) between Monday and Thursday this week, kayaking.

I am lucky in a very unlucky way. Both my wife and I have had very close scrapes with death, and we've both faced our own mortality. We both decided that life is a finite resource, and people only give themselves time to do their own things when they're too old to enjoy it. Not us! For that reason, work has ALWAYS been in support of our crazy hobbies, interests and urges. Rural hikes in the mountains? Check. Paragliding across lakes or down rivers? Check. Eating at Elvis' BBQ joint in Tupelo, MS? Check.

My next goal out there in the real world is to buy a VW Passat TDi.

Simon_Carr
Brittle Membrane

Post by Simon_Carr »

Good to see you back Dave, it has been very quiet here recently...

Unpacking a JS-ROM QL, with a QL-SD and SuperQBoard, and busily refelting millions of microdrives