QSTAR 2

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Andrew
Aurora

QSTAR 2

Post by Andrew »

QStar 2 - another logic puzzle game!

It's a spin-off QStar 1, but with different game mechanics and only 10 levels, but harder.
This time the Blocker cannot move - but it can switch position with the Hero
And because is harder, it is possible to view a solution for the puzzle, not necessarily the one with the fewer moves, so can you find a better one? Please do not use this option unless you are really stuck!
QStar2_1a.jpg
QStar2_3.jpg
QStar2_2.jpg
Attachments
QStar2+Source.zip
(36.15 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
QStar2_img.zip
(54.35 KiB) Downloaded 48 times

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Re: QSTAR 2

Post by bwinkel67 »

The switching of players is the variant I saw before. I think I like QStar 1 better. I made it through level 4 and that one took many tries. I also like how, once I make it through a level, if I come back to that level, even if it's only been a few days, it's still difficult to solve as there are so many variations.

Can you combine the two and just have the user choose an option. Btw, I dedicated an entire video to your game since a) it's the first new game for the QL in a while, and b) it seems to be the best visually for all the clones of DStar I've seen so far.

badaman
Over Heated PSU

Post by badaman »

Well done! And that it is translated into Spanish is a plus for our community. Thank you!

ge.konstantopoulos
ROM Dongle

Post by ge.konstantopoulos »

I think there is an issue with the zip file.

I download (like always) the Qstar2+Souce.zip file and move it to my BB QL.
Then I use unzip 5.32 in order to unzip it.
1. The source files all failed to be unzipped
2. The rest of the files get unzipped but when run the boot, I get the bad parameter error (during the exec_w command). Looks like the headers have issue.
Up to now I had no issues to download, unzip and run the QSTAR1 zip files. But QSTAR2 just is not working.
Any ideas?

Update: Same behaviour with Unzip 5.41. I believe there is something wrong with the zip file.

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

ge.konstantopoulos wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 4:18 pm I think there is an issue with the zip file.

I download (like always) the Qstar2+Souce.zip file and move it to my BB QL.
Then I use unzip 5.32 in order to unzip it.
1. The source files all failed to be unzipped
2. The rest of the files get unzipped but when run the boot, I get the bad parameter error (during the exec_w command). Looks like the headers have issue.
Up to now I had no issues to download, unzip and run the QSTAR1 zip files. But QSTAR2 just is not working.
Any ideas?

Update: Same behaviour with Unzip 5.41. I believe there is something wrong with the zip file.
The zip file was created on PC, so the executable has a header. The source files are in subdir, maybe unzip cannot work with subdirs , I don't know, I'm just guessing.
Solution: unzip on PC and then move the files to a QL container

I will create a QDOS zip file also and upload it here.
Attachments
qstar2_source.zip
(14.17 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
qstar2.zip
(23.16 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Last edited by Andrew on Sat May 11, 2024 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

bwinkel67 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:45 pm The switching of players is the variant I saw before. I think I like QStar 1 better. I made it through level 4 and that one took many tries. I also like how, once I make it through a level, if I come back to that level, even if it's only been a few days, it's still difficult to solve as there are so many variations.

Can you combine the two and just have the user choose an option. Btw, I dedicated an entire video to your game since a) it's the first new game for the QL in a while, and b) it seems to be the best visually for all the clones of DStar I've seen so far.
When I started to create the DStar clone my target was set to:
  • pretend it's 1984: write all code from scratch (not port some version created for other machine)
  • build a program that will run on a standard QL and on expanded QLs (Trump card, GoldCard, SuperGoldCard, any other QL clone or emulator that is configured to use the standard QL graphics)
  • create a visually appealing game, as much as it is possible using the limited QL colors and my limited artistic capabilities (in fact deciding on the colours and graphics took me more than 75% of the time spent on developing the program)
  • find out if some pleasing limited animation can be achieved using mostly SuperBasic
  • make the game bilingual as a token of appeciation for the QL user-communities in UK and Spain
I thought about combining the two in a single program. My options were:
Option 1: Single program, 25 levels, with one type of movement
Pros: none that I can see
Cons: not all levels can be solved using the same movement type.

Option 2: Single program, 25 levels, with both types of movement, the player can select the movement type at start of a new level
Pros: All levels can be solved
Cons: The player has 50% chance of choosing a type of movement that makes it impossible to complete the level. The player will be frustrated and will soon loose interest in playing the game.
The game will not be a pure logical puzzle, but also a chance game.

Option 3: Single program, 25 levels, with both types of movement combined (can move blocker and can switch position with blocker)
Pros: All levels can be solved.
Cons: Most of levels became too easy to solve!

Option 4: 2 games, each one with a type of movement and different levels
Pros: All levels can be solved. Level difficulty is preserved.
This is the option I decided to use.

Please let me know when you will post the video on your channel. Thank you!
Last edited by Andrew on Sat May 11, 2024 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Andrew wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 5:20 pm
The zip file was created on PC, so the executable has a header. The source files are in subdir, maybe unzip cannot work with subdirs , I don't know, I'm just guessing.
Solution: unzip on PC and then move the files to a QL container

I will create a QDOS zip file also and upload it here.
It had a QemuLator-style file header on the executables, so created in a dos drive on QPC2 probably. That will not execute from a QDOS/SMSQ medium unless that header preamble is removed.
Can be fixed by copying executables to a DOS medium in QPC2, then copying again back to a QL format drive (e.g. ramdisk) which removes the Qemulator-style preamble, allowing it to be run from a QDOS or SMSQ format medium.

Not the first time I've confused myself with this in recent versions of QPC2 which does this to get around the loss of executable file headers in QPC2 executables :?

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Dilwyn,

That's one of the (the main) reasons why I'm not sure whether the header preservation methods we have devised over the years are really of any help at all or just create even more confusion. I sometimes think it 's the latter.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
ge.konstantopoulos
ROM Dongle

Post by ge.konstantopoulos »

Hello Andrew,

It is working now, Thanks for the new .zip file!
Thanks also to Dilwyn for the explanations.

Excellent game. Congrats.

BR
George.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I always create ZIP files with ACP (Archive Control Panel) in a QL environment, with the files stored in a QWA container, which QPC2, SMSQmulator, Qemulator, sQLux all strip off the the executable header, leaving the correct executable header.

The zip files should be uncompressed to a QL container, then copied to a dos drive.

But why, store all the QL files in a non-QL compatiable filesystem.

I prefer to store QL files in a QWA or QUB container file which is easy to backup and can be easily be read with all emulators, Q68, Q60, QIMSI, Qubide...

I have run Qtar2 on the Q68, runs great.

Well done another great game.

Regards,

Derek