Psion Abacus

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Psion Abacus

Post by bwinkel67 »

Does Abacus support the modulus operator? It has an int function and supports exponentiation both using ^ and the exp() function. I've tried all sorts of characters to no avail. I currently am computing a - int(a/n)*n, to compute a mod n, but it would be nicer to simplify it.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Psion Abacus

Post by tofro »

You're doing it right. To my knowledge, there's no simpler way to execute MOD in Abacus

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

I have been playing with Abacus and Easel and I must say, even on a 128K machine with microdrives, it works pretty seamlessly. I can only imagine what 512K of memory, Choice, and a RAM disk would do the the experience. I guess I was ignorant of spreadsheets in the early 90s as I might have used Abacus once or twice just for its tablular ability to list text and numbers in rows, but never used the formulas and functions. As for Easel, probably never even opened it once then. Now, having had to use Excel at times to do some number crunching, pretty amazed with those two pieces of software, how well they run on a BBQL, and the fact that the US version deals with the screen properly.

Anyone every write any conversion software from Abacus to Lotus or Excel, etc that transfers the formulas and functions?

P.S. I just did a video where I repeated some school work my students had to do analyzing pseudo random number generators in Excel...worked pretty similarly and wasn't that much slower. Just the amount of data was slightly different. I had them do a couple of thousand values whereas I could only do 1K.

swensont
Forum Moderator

Post by swensont »

bwinkle,

You might find the following SMSQzine articles interesting:

Astronomical Calculations with Abacus and Archive - Issue #3
PC Four to QL Xchange - Issue #6
History of Psion Xchange - Issue #6
Abacus - Issue 38

converting spreadsheets from Abacus to others will work with .csv files, but I don't think the formulas will convert.
If the formulas can be converted to a text file, I'm sure a simple Perl script could be written to change one formula for another.

Tim

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Is there a site for SMSQzine? I found a few issues on the internet archive.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Document attached originally from Dave Walker, contains information on the internal formats of the Psion programs. Had to zip it up as the Forum wouldn't accept it as an attachment otherwise. The file is called Textidy_ref - it's actually a Quill DOC file but presumably Dave renamed it as there was another file called textidy_doc in the package. Just search for Abacus in the doc.
textidy.zip
Textidy_ref doc
(24.07 KiB) Downloaded 23 times

SMSQzine - see here: https://dilwyn.qlforum.co.uk/ezines/qhj ... index.html
Don't know if up to date, first six issues there.

swensont
Forum Moderator

Post by swensont »

All my zines and stuff are on my website:

http://swensont.epizy.com/

Tim

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

swensont wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 5:43 pm All my zines and stuff are on my website:

http://swensont.epizy.com/

Tim
Interesting comparison of Abacus to VisiCalc in issue #8 (you had a typo above with issue 38). The QL software bundle was pretty well developed. It's interesting because the other 16-bit computers at that time came with almost nothing (well, except the Mac did have MacWrite and MacPaint). The only thing I recall coming close was the Commodore Plus/4 having a built-in business-suite and it flopped (reading some reviews that software seemed to have...cough...not been good). I guess back then people didn't care about it as much as we do now.

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

What a great software (from 1984!)