68k/OS additional ROMs

A place to discuss general QL issues.
aalea
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Re: 68k/OS additional ROMs

Post by aalea »

t0nyt wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:20 am So, yes, I purchased the 68K/OS as it intrigues me
I don't know if there is interest, but if you post somewhere pictures of the PCB, both sides, I will do my best on reverse engineering it, to preserve the schematic and share it for future repairs or whatever.

t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

aalea wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:59 pm
t0nyt wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:20 am So, yes, I purchased the 68K/OS as it intrigues me
I don't know if there is interest, but if you post somewhere pictures of the PCB, both sides, I will do my best on reverse engineering it, to preserve the schematic and share it for future repairs or whatever.
Ok

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Does the name Tim Ward mean anything to anyone? He wrote, or was part of the team that wrote 68K/OS. I think Urs knows him, but Tim and I are connected on Mastodon (which is a polite and welcoming social media) and we were talking about 68K/OS just this week. He no longer has any QL stuff or discs lying around apart from a huge PCB based on the QL that they did for the Australian Associated Press for a QL based financial information terminal.

It's a shame he hasn't got more stuff!

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

I saw that post (toot!) on Mastodon and it would be great to know more about that custom QL project. As in what it did, was it an official project with Sinclair or unofficial hardware hackery etc.

I'll also echo Norman's comment re how nice Mastodon is. I don't use any other network (well, other than LinkedIn to get work) , but I do use Masto on a daily basis. Also if you're not there, you're missing out of Norman's great photography and awful (in the best sense) puns :D

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

It's arrived and appears to be alive!

Next up is to re-felt the OS MD's (there's an original & a backup)

IMG_3822.jpeg

t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

t0nyt wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:05 pm
aalea wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:59 pm
Ok
As requested (best I can do)

IMG_3820.jpeg
IMG_3821.jpeg

t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

A quick update

The backup 68K/OS mdv was bad, luckily the original master was good (not tried actually running all the programs though)

I had a hell of a job making backups to start with (both my QL's currently only have 1 fully working MDV each) and it didn't seem to want to format on the known good drive

Turned out it was the vMap fitted to the QL that was causing the formatting issues, as soon as I removed that I could format fine

So I now have 4 good backups of the software

Not sure when I'll get time to try using it in more detail