HxC floppy emulator

A place to discuss general QL issues.
Fred de Boer
ROM Dongle

HxC floppy emulator

Post by Fred de Boer »

Does anyone have any knowledge about the HxC floppy emulator on the QL, it works like the Vdrive on a sd-card but you can hook up like a floppie drive.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: HxC floppy emulator

Post by tofro »

Fred de Boer wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:44 pm Does anyone have any knowledge about the HxC floppy emulator on the QL, it works like the Vdrive on a sd-card but you can hook up like a floppie drive.
Well, you obviously need a floppy controller card for an HxC drive, and otherwise, the HxC behaves just like a physical floppy.

Today, however, HxC has fallen a bit out of fashion: Most people seem to be using GoTek drives with its successor "FlashFloppy" which is, in my opinion, a bit easier to handle (it also supports more elaborate user interfaces like an alphanumeric display with proper image names, whereas the HxC only provides numbers).

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

whereas the HxC only provides numbers
You just made that up!

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

I stand corrected. Mine only provides numbers. Apparently there's a version for newer Goteks.

I forgot to mention: The HxC firmware costs 10€ (which it is well worth), while the FF firmware is free (which makes it an even better bargain).

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO