Oddly, none of the disks scanned on drive 1, but worked perfectly on drive 2. This is the reverse of what I find when plugged into on my QL, where drive 1 is always more reliable.
To forestall any queries: no, my dissertation was not worth the effort! But the process itself was quite fun.
In the end I had to buy the Value Edition of Amiga Forever to get legal 1.3 ROMs/Kickstart. After converting the dissertation disks and the Protext word processor disk, I managed to get the documents to show in the emulator. I'd planned to then work out how to get them from Protext out onto the host machine, but frankly, my musings on french industrial policy from the mid 1970s to the late 1980s are probably best left hidden for now.
Initially I thought the dissertation disks had failed, as although they completed the Greaseweazle extraction without error, when mounted in Amiga Forever they showed as empty. However, when catalogued from within Protext, all the files were there and readable.
So in conclusion:
- Greaseweazle is a rather awesome piece of hardware/software
- I'd forgotten just how good Protext was.
- I'm going to have some fun playing with an (emulated) Amiga after 30+ years
- things you wrote over 35 years ago are rarely as interesting as you think they are