QWIRC for Q68 and Qx0

The Thor, Aurora, Q40, Q60 & Q68 etc. are discussed here.
duncan
ROM Dongle

QWIRC for Q68 and Qx0

Post by duncan »

QWIRC 0.66 from Per Witte is solely for QPC2 is anyone aware of a version for the Q68 or Q40?

His website also seems to have disappeared.

Thanks for any info

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: QWIRC for Q68 and Qx0

Post by Derek_Stewart »

duncan wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:33 pm QWIRC 0.66 from Per Witte is solely for QPC2 is anyone aware of a version for the Q68 or Q40?

His website also seems to have disappeared.

Thanks for any info
Hi Duncan

Per shut his web site down and I am not sure if he around.

I have some of his excellent software, but not all.

It is a great miss.

He also has a Q68...

Maybe the current version could updated to suite the Q68

Regards,

Derek
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Some twenty years ago I experimented with incorporating the Qx0 into Qwirc's
repertoire, but for some reason I didnt go though with it. I guess it had something
to do with it not being quite as useful when you have a limited number of targets;
whereas on QPC2 and SMSQmulator you can have tens of different "QXL.WIN" files.

A couple of years ago I did a complete overhaul of Qwirc. As I thought I was the
only person in the world to use it I never bothered to finish it to the degree that
it could be let loose. I could take another look at it..

Can anyone say off the cuff whether the Qx0 and Q68 use the same sort of
parameters for WIN drives? I no longer have my Q60 to test it on.

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
duncan
ROM Dongle

Post by duncan »

Thanks Derek and Per for the helpful replies.

I have had a further look at QWIRC on QPC2 and it does not seem to have the function I was hoping it might have. If I have understood the program correctly the QXL.win files that can be mounted as alternates for a Win slot need to be listed in the .rsc file? I was hoping to to be able to browse for alternative QXL.win files to mount in to unused slots.

The reason for this is my Q60 has 2 sata disks and a CF card reader. The 1st sata has 4 QWA partitions while the 2nd is formatted Win 32 and has 8 QXL.win files at the moment of which only 4 are mounted at boot. The CF cards are formatted with win 32 and can carry many additional QXL.win files. I want to be able to manage - mount/unmount QXL.win files especially when swapping CF cards without needing to keep an upto date list of all the QXL.win files on whichever medium. The CARD_DIR$ function of smsq/e allows the listing of QXL.win files on a medium/partition without a need to know what is where.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

There looks to be no source code to QWIRC, so it would hard to see what the programme is doing, maybe a candidate for decompiling...

The QWA files used on the Q68 are read/write on SMSQmulator, QPC2, sQLux, QEMulator, I have not looked at the QWA paritions on the Q60, Atari QL hardware, my guess would be the QWA partitions are created in a Atari paritition structure.

I used to use atari-fdisk on the Q66 from Shoestring Linux to create the Q60 paritions structure, which was 3 QWA, 1 Linux partitions, on the master IDE drive.

This was well before FAT32 partition access was available to the Q60 and Q68.

Personally, I like the idea with the Q68 that QWA files can be mounted at anytime, there I assumed that the QWA file structure was the same over all SMSQ/E platforms.

Regards,

Derek
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

duncan wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:54 pm Thanks Derek and Per for the helpful replies.

I have had a further look at QWIRC on QPC2 and it does not seem to have the function I was hoping it might have. If I have understood the program correctly the QXL.win files that can be mounted as alternates for a Win slot need to be listed in the .rsc file?
Its not quite as grim as that. There is an in-program MRU list, so in
theory you only need to enter a new name once.
duncan wrote:I was hoping to to be able to browse for alternative QXL.win files to mount in to unused slots.
For QPC2 and SMSQmulator one could use my "DOS" browser, DOX, to browse for
QXL.win file names on the host's file system. However, I never made a Qx0
or Q68 version of that.
duncan wrote:The reason for this is my Q60 has 2 sata disks and a CF card reader. The 1st sata has 4 QWA partitions while the 2nd is formatted Win 32 and has 8 QXL.win files at the moment of which only 4 are mounted at boot. The CF cards are formatted with win 32 and can carry many additional QXL.win files. I want to be able to manage - mount/unmount QXL.win files especially when swapping CF cards without needing to keep an upto date list of all the QXL.win files on whichever medium. The CARD_DIR$ function of smsq/e allows the listing of QXL.win files on a medium/partition without a need to know what is where.
I've had a look at what would be involved in making Qwirc work with Qx0 and
Q68. I'll probably add Q68 to Qwirc's repertoire, but I doubt I'll get
round to doing a Qx0 version - not least because I no longer have such a
machine.

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:55 am Hi,

There looks to be no source code to QWIRC, so it would hard to see what the programme is doing, maybe a candidate for decompiling...
No need for that, Derek. The next version of Qwirc, when it arrives, will come complete with source code :)
Derek_Stewart wrote:<>

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?