The most Two (2) Important Commands for new SMSQ/E User (e.g. QPC2)

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
ql_freak
Gold Card

The most Two (2) Important Commands for new SMSQ/E User (e.g. QPC2)

Post by ql_freak »

These, most 2 important commands should ALWAYS exist in Your bootfile:

1:
PE_BGON : REMark Enables that windows in background do not stop when they are doing output to screen (e.g. a Window). [First seen on Minerva with additional Software, e.g. Pie or Pex]

2:
WM_MOVEMODE 2 : REMark Many (most?) programs can then be moved while the output is visible. [First seen on SMSQ/E – I have recognized it first on Q68 – thanks Derek]

http://peter-sulzer.bplaced.net
GERMAN! QL-Download page also available in English: GETLINE$() function, UNIX-like "ls" command, improved DIY-Toolkit function EDLINE$ - All with source. AND a good Python 3 Tutorial (German) for Win/UNIX :-)
ql_freak
Gold Card

Re: The most Two (2) Important Commands for new SMSQ/E User (e.g. QPC2)

Post by ql_freak »

p.s.: Of course much thanks to Marcel! Without him QDOS wouldn't be, what it is today.

p.p.s.: One main problem is the maximum path length limit, which unfortunately is deeply built into the OS :‑|

There is an (virtual?) Internet Filing System without the (horrible) length limitation of QDOS pathnames from Hans-Peter Recktenwald (hpr). I never have tested it (hard to read). Has anyone tested it yet?

http://peter-sulzer.bplaced.net
GERMAN! QL-Download page also available in English: GETLINE$() function, UNIX-like "ls" command, improved DIY-Toolkit function EDLINE$ - All with source. AND a good Python 3 Tutorial (German) for Win/UNIX :-)
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Peter,

I have had a brief look at QVFS, which looked a good idea.

I was hoping to write some software that would use QVFS, to allow longer filenames then allowed in QDOS/SMSQ/E.

UQLX and sQLux uses QVFS as well.

Regards,

Derek
Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

Some time ago I did this https://www.qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=27710#p27710.

I never took it any further. As I remember, ideally it wanted a couple of alterations to SMSQ/E.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I was trying to write an epub reader.

The epub file is a zip compressed HTML files, but the QL filename limits gave problems, I thought maybe QVFS or LFN would help solve the problem.

But this is on hold till I can get the Q68 finished...

Regards,

Derek