confused cf card on qubide -> parameters ??

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
techy
Gold Card

confused cf card on qubide -> parameters ??

Post by techy »

I have a sandisk cf 96mb card , and would like to use it on my qubide ( 1.56a) .

i am struggeling with the format parameters to use .

is there anyone who can tell me how to determine those

Zx80-1/3k exp.-zx81-16k exp.- Spectrum 48 - Spectrum+ -Spectrum 128- Interface 1 - DIVide - Zx flashcard- Zx printer - Ram turbo - Velleman interface system - Currah microspeech - Ql - Miracle 512k exp.- Ql printer - Cst Qdisk interf.- Qubide - Double 3.5 floppy- Minerva - Ice 1.9 - Ql Usb mouse adapter - Qimi-and much more .
BSJR
Trump Card

Re: confused cf card on qubide -> parameters ??

Post by BSJR »

techy wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:09 pm I have a sandisk cf 96mb card , and would like to use it on my qubide ( 1.56a) .

i am struggeling with the format parameters to use .

is there anyone who can tell me how to determine those
If you don't have it, a Qubide manual can be found on Dilwyn's documents site.
https://dilwyn.qlforum.co.uk/docs/manuals/qubide.zip

The best way is to use the Partition_exe program made for v1.5x to set up, test, clear and Format partitions.
There are differences between the versions 1.3x and the later 2.0x file formats.
The zip below holds all the tools that came with my v1.53.
QUB153.zip
(200.48 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
BSJR

techy
Gold Card

Post by techy »

the problem i start with is getting the files on floppy or cf /sd card .......................

is there a way to use a pc ?? or is it all ql file structure ??

noob here ;-)

Zx80-1/3k exp.-zx81-16k exp.- Spectrum 48 - Spectrum+ -Spectrum 128- Interface 1 - DIVide - Zx flashcard- Zx printer - Ram turbo - Velleman interface system - Currah microspeech - Ql - Miracle 512k exp.- Ql printer - Cst Qdisk interf.- Qubide - Double 3.5 floppy- Minerva - Ice 1.9 - Ql Usb mouse adapter - Qimi-and much more .
BSJR
Trump Card

Post by BSJR »

techy wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:06 pm the problem i start with is getting the files on floppy or cf /sd card .......................

noob here ;-)
There are several QL emulators for the PC that can be used to make the needed QL floppy.
Check out the "QL Homepage" link on top of the page.
But you also need access to a floppy drive on the QL to get the software there. Without that it's very difficult.

BSJR

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

techy wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:06 pm the problem i start with is getting the files on floppy or cf /sd card .......................

noob here ;-)
Use the Habi Image Editor, to send files from a PC to a Qubide hard disk partition.

Regards,

Derek
techy
Gold Card

Post by techy »

is habi linux ??

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

No, Windows. It seems to work with Wine, however, if you set it to work on a dd dump of the card, then dd it back.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The Habi Image Editor is a Winodws application that can run under wine on a disk image of the Qubide partition.

There are discussions on the Forum with links to the usage of the Habi Editor and also look on the QL HomePage.

To create a partition on a Qubide v1.56 you have to create the 1st partition which is WIN1

When the Qubide is boot up, the Qubide ROM scans the IDE bus, you will see a series on dots. If it find a valid IDE device, it analyses the parition.

Non-Qubide partitions get displayed as Not a Qubide Partition, and the system can boot with no valid WIN drives.

To create the first partition, there are 2 ways:

1)

type FORMAT win1_

which asks for block size 4/8... usually block size of 4 is sufficient, but it depends on ram, this will format a partition very slowly, with 2 passes.

2) the second option, is to use the PARTITION_EXE programme on the Qubide utilities disk, downnloadable form the QL HomePage. This allows partitions to be created, more quickly than using the FORMAT command.

The use the WIN_DRIVE command to mount the partitions. See manuals for usage.

Regards,

Derek