Writing Gotek QL Image Disks

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Jeff$
ROM Dongle

Re: Writing Gotek QL Image Disks

Post by Jeff$ »

RalfR wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:58 pm
Martin_Head wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:03 amAlso does your Thor have single sided drives, or do you need to enter something special to force it to do double sided.
I think he equated sectors and amount of memory.

As far as I know, the Thor has always had 720k floppies.
Yep 720k, tried 1.44Mb on Thor without joy. The 720 sector thing came about as I grabbed a blank 720k Image off GitHub, turned out it was 720 sectors as you say, so 360k..... but it was listed as 720k along with a 1.44 image. At the time I couldn't generate my own images and was in a rush to get the Gotek working. And explains why I was getting no room on 720k floppy backups. In my defence its 30 years since I touched a 720k disk :? (Old enough to have used an IBM Xt with a cassette tape as they wouldn't let the apprentices near the Xt with those new floppy disks and massive 5Mb hard disk.)

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Martin_Head wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:03 am The FDI Driver 2, and the Image files utilities https://dilwyn.qlforum.co.uk/utils/index.html can create blank floppy disk images.

Also does your Thor have single sided drives, or do you need to enter something special to force it to do double sided.
This is how I create Floppy Disk images, the software is excellent and the manual is well written and easy to understand.

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Jeff$ wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:23 pm
RalfR wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:58 pm
Martin_Head wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:03 amAlso does your Thor have single sided drives, or do you need to enter something special to force it to do double sided.
I think he equated sectors and amount of memory.

As far as I know, the Thor has always had 720k floppies.
Yep 720k, tried 1.44Mb on Thor without joy. The 720 sector thing came about as I grabbed a blank 720k Image off GitHub, turned out it was 720 sectors as you say, so 360k..... but it was listed as 720k along with a 1.44 image. At the time I couldn't generate my own images and was in a rush to get the Gotek working. And explains why I was getting no room on 720k floppy backups. In my defence its 30 years since I touched a 720k disk :? (Old enough to have used an IBM Xt with a cassette tape as they wouldn't let the apprentices near the Xt with those new floppy disks and massive 5Mb hard disk.)
HI,

The only QL Hardware that can use HD Disks of 1.4Mb (2880 sectors) is a Super/Gold Card due the controller on the board, in fact they access ED Disks, with the correct drive giving formatted disk capacity of 3.2Mb (6440 sectors)

Maybe the Atari hardware emulators can access HD disks, I have forgotten, have to get my TT030 working again,

Regards,

Derek