RAM fault rabbit hole

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
gbejniet
ROM Dongle

RAM fault rabbit hole

Post by gbejniet »

OK, so, to start with - I'm not going to ask or expect anyone to remote-diagnose my machine, instead I will ask a general question someone might be knowledgeable about:

If Minerva reports a memory fault due to a broken track, and the track is fixed, might there now be no video (TV says "No Signal") after the memory test, due to a different problem? Or is this evidence the track fix is bad?

If you want to read further, here's the story: My AH 128K QL started failing with white screen after pattern (first intermittently, then permanently) maybe after I accidentally left it on overnight. :( I suspected a RAM fault so put in Minerva. Sure enough, the fault was in high memory (IC14) - I seem to have thrown away the actual test result, but in any case if I'd misread and changed the wrong IC I wouldn't expect things to get any worse.

Minerva then boots (or used to) with limited memory.

As is customary I then made a pig's ear of IC14 removal, breaking tracks to pins 3 (/WE) and 16 (VSS) in both directions. I put a socket in, got a replacement HM4864P-2, and started repairing the tracks (pin 3 in both directions IC13-14-15, pin 16 only from the left IC13-14 as IC15/16/8 are also fed from the other side I believe).

With 3 fixed on the left but not the right, I get:

F082F680

i.e., IC8, as you would expect - as it is missing /WE. However once I fix 3 on the right I get... nothing, no video signal. Suspecting I have shorted something but can't find a short from adjacent pins or anything that may be touching that shouldn't.

So yes, the issue is whether I must have shorted or opened something and if so why there is any video at all before this last step? Does Minerva shut down video programmatically after the memory test (and another fault stops it going further) or is this just evidence my pin 3 fix is a mess? (Worth noting that the result is the same if there is no IC14 in the socket, so the higher bank test should be failing in that case. Instead, no signal.)

If the latter then I have a simpler problem (me). If the former then I have a more complex problem (also me).

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Re: RAM fault rabbit hole

Post by Chr$ »

Failed ZX8301 (IC22) is (In my experience) the most common cause of no video/black screen. They are fragile chips and often die if you mess around with the RGB cable with the QL on, so it may not be RAM related. Could that have happened? Are you using the RGB connector? Perhaps remove and re-seat the ZX8301. Better still would be to try another known working one.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

When you replaced IC14, Did you manage to rip out any of the through plating in the holes.

You could have a pin on the IC socket that is soldered on the bottom side of the board, but a track on the top of the board is not connected because the through plating is missing.

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

The video is produced from the lower bank (in address range) of RAM chips and will try to happen whatever. However - the ZX8301 is also doing address decoding for ROM, RAM and part of the I/O - so if the chip isn't doing anything - it could be duff as Chr$ says.

Usually, if you have a missing track - you'll get some sort of Video output - but will also see a memory fault with Minerva - so no video might indicate some sort of short. Also - tracks are above and below the board - so if a track is damaged on the underside - it's easier to see. Most of the pins on the RAM chips are in fact shared across all the chips (Address lines, /WE) - so you can test this connectivity by selecting the same pin on successive chips and checking for continuity with a multimeter. The data in and out are tied together on each chip and only share a connection with the equivalent pins on the chip in the other bank that's on the same data line - so using the multimeter you can test for these and the connection to the LS245 transciever chip.

It can be a bugger to find the damaged track or bad connection - but persistence will pay off.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

If the 8301 were good, it would produce a picture regardless if memory is good or bad, or at least a signal the monitor can sync to. I'm pretty sure it's toast.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
gbejniet
ROM Dongle

Post by gbejniet »

Many thanks everyone.

When I unsolder the repair on /WE between IC14 and IC15, the Minerva RAM fault screen returns:

F082F680

I just did this again for my own confirmation. So if this signal can still come out, and comes from the ZX8301, then that chip is at least working, am I right? Or does the RAM fault video signal come from somewhere else? (I'd like to say I'm being deliberately naive here, in order to work through an issue, but I can't really be sure I am)

If I have really fried the ZX8301 I will be pretty cross with myself as I was quite assiduous about not interfering with monitor cables whenever there was any possibility either the TV or QL was on. I'd heeded all the warnings, I thought.

And yes, I probably did pull out through plating on pins 3 and 16, at least this would account for the breaks either side of IC14.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

If you use Minerva, download the Minerva utility disk, file from QL Homepage or link:

http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/qlrom/min198utils.zip

Where there is a program called 'ramfail_bas'

this take the data you have and identify the faulty internal ram chip.

This program doe not work on memory expansions.

Regards,

Derek
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

gbejniet wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:51 pm Many thanks everyone.

When I unsolder the repair on /WE between IC14 and IC15, the Minerva RAM fault screen returns:

F082F680

I just did this again for my own confirmation. So if this signal can still come out, and comes from the ZX8301, then that chip is at least working, am I right? Or does the RAM fault video signal come from somewhere else? (I'd like to say I'm being deliberately naive here, in order to work through an issue, but I can't really be sure I am)

If I have really fried the ZX8301 I will be pretty cross with myself as I was quite assiduous about not interfering with monitor cables whenever there was any possibility either the TV or QL was on. I'd heeded all the warnings, I thought.

And yes, I probably did pull out through plating on pins 3 and 16, at least this would account for the breaks either side of IC14.
If you're getting any sort of video output, the 8301 is likely OK. There's no alternative way to get something to the screen.

If you get video output when you remove your "fix" (and none otherwise), it's likely something with your fix is wrong.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO