Q-emulator on PPC Mac and OS X 10.5?

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
dex
Gold Card

Re: Q-emulator on PPC Mac and OS X 10.5?

Post by dex »

If You mean PowerPC OS X 10.4 and 10.5, only Safari as an old browser refuses the modern https encryption.
With latest version of TenFourFox You will have better luck (but the development was stopped, with TenFourFox geting older the time of refusing connection will arrive one day, too).
Currently no problem to visit the QL Forum web with TenFourFox.

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

There is also the InterWebPPC browser. And TenFourFox development continues in hobby mode, the results are available as source.
By the way, I finally managed to get MacOS X 10.4 myself and can run the 68K version of Q-emulator natively on my wonderful Powerbook G4 now. ;)

Off topic: I recently stumbled over some 68K MacOS software which was absolutely amazing, showing what would have been possible on the QL, too.
With the Q40 and Q60 we even had more CPU power than the fastest 68K Macs...

If there is one thing that would motivate me for a last, ultimate 68060 mainboard, it would be software like that.
I wonder how difficult it would be to emulate 68K Mac software under SMSQ/E.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Peter wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:16 am Off topic: I recently stumbled over some 68K MacOS software which was absolutely amazing, showing what would have been possible on the QL, too.
What software?

I'm actually running Q-emulator on my PowerBook 180...works really well.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The Stuffit application uncompressed the Qemulator files, but when trying to install on OS X 10.5 Leopard, gives an error message of not a Classic Environment.

So I have to either install OS X 10.4 Lion, which has a Classic OS X layer. Which I have a OS X 10.4 Install DVD or install OS 9, which can now run on the Mac Mini G4.

So maybe the best way would be to partition the hard drive for OS 9 and OS X

Which would give the best of both world... well if a Mac world is any good.

I got the Mac Mini G4 from eBay for not at lot of money, upgraded it to 1Gb ram to run MorphOS, which could still be an option.

Regards,

Derek
Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

bwinkel67 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:39 am
Peter wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:16 am Off topic: I recently stumbled over some 68K MacOS software which was absolutely amazing, showing what would have been possible on the QL, too.
What software?
E.g. Mathematica, Word Perfect, Canvas, Photoshop, ...

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Peter wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:19 am E.g. Mathematica, Word Perfect, Canvas, Photoshop, ...
I had all abut Photoshop, though I don't think I have Matematica anymore. I did use WordPerfect for a long time but migrated to Word which was also pretty decent on the 68K Mac.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have been wrestling with awlful OSX operating, not impressed by Apple's interptretation of UNIX.

So the Mac Mini made see MorphOS loaded on, or sold eBay

Regards,

Derek