How to transfer the text in a quill doc file to a modern PC

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Re: How to transfer the text in a quill doc file to a modern PC

Post by pjw »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:00 am
pjw wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:17 pm
dlsa wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:58 pm <> Is there any way, I can export the text inside a Quill document, to a text file readable on a modern PC ?
As you will have seen above there are many ways, though the end result will vary. I find the best way to retain the original formatting and layout is:
1. File-copy the doc to your PC
2. Drag and drop the doc onto Quill-View
3. Select all the text in the resulting HTML display and copy it to the clip board (CTRL+A, CTRL+C)
4. Drop the clip board into M$ Word (CTRL+V), and Bob's your uncle!
Sadly, neither Libre Office nor Wordpad will do the trick. I dont know about Office365 or Google docs but it might be worth a try if you dont have Word.
This is strange, as I can copy and paste from Quill-View, QStripper into any Wordprocessor, including MS Office, LibreOffice, OpenOffice, which retains the formatting or text editors, which do not retain the formatting and keep the structure.
I withdraw my remark about Libre Office: It does work!
Derek_Stewart wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:00 am I prefer Norm's QStripper, as there are more export formats available.
Since Quill-View was mentioned by two previous posters I referred to that so as to not add more noise. I DO like Quill-View's feature of just dropping a doc file on its icon and then it immediately pops ups with the formatted doc.
Derek_Stewart wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:00 am But using Quill to produce a HTML version in a QL environment, sounds a good idea, thought it has already been done?
This was demonstrated in my first published article in QL World, in November 1986. It can be found here, right at the end of the page. Would need some updating to modern HTML standards, of course ;)

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Sxroll down on this page to Xchange HTML Generation for an example. Further down there's some more examples called Special Printer_dat files

Sorry for any typos, new forum layout makes it hard to see what I"m doing on mobile phone
http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/psions/index.html

swensont
Forum Moderator

Post by swensont »

I still actively use Quill for writing. The simplest way to get from Quill to a word processor like OpenOffice or Word is to use "QL-2-PC Transfer" from Geoff Wicks (Just Words Software).
Here is the link:

http://www.gwicks.net/freeware/ql2pc.zip

I use it to convert from Quill _doc file to an RTF file (Rich Text Format). Most word processors will load an RTF file. Using this file format keeps all of the paragraphs together. Other formatting like Bold, Underlined, etc is also kept. It is an extra step outside of Quill, but it keeps me from having to re-format the document in the word processor.

Tim