PAN command

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
dilwyn
Mr QL

PAN command

Post by dilwyn »

As I only have a QPC2 system set up here atm, could someone possibly try something out on a BBQL for me to see if this is QPC specific, or applies across all QDOS/SMSQ_E systems.

Bit of an unusual issue with a PAN command, which could potentially be useful if it appliers across all systems.

It concerns the area panned left or right with the 3 or 4 parameters.

PAN doesn't support PAN #channel,pixels, parameter where parameter = 1 or 2 (i.e. only pans whole window, or cursor line, not the section above or below the cursor line).

As expected, PAN #channel,pixels,3 or PAN #channel,pixels,4 pans the current line whether in CSIZE height 0 or 1. Thus far, as expected.

After making a silly programming error in my program, I came across this, which may be useful.

On QPC2, if I altered the CHAR_INC vertical spacing to a value larger than the usual 10 or 20 pixels, e.g.

AT 0,0
CSIZE 1,1
CHAR_INC 8,50
PAN -10,3

It seems to pan left a block of 50 pixels high ten pixels to the left.

That's all I need checked really, that this still works on a QL with Toolkit 2. Useful being able to pan a variable height section if the PAN command takes CHAR_INC settings into account on all systems.

Silvester
Gold Card

Re: PAN command

Post by Silvester »

On my BBQL with Gold card (Minerva OS), it does pan top 5 lines left (50 pixel cursor line) by 10 pixels.

David
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Thank you Silvester.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Is it possible to use the PAN command in a overwrite mode, so that the foreground is PANned left or right leaving the background unchanged.

Probably this will not work and Sprite routine is required.

Regards,

Derek
janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi,

Is it possible to use the PAN command in a overwrite mode, so that the foreground is PANned left or right leaving the background unchanged.
Unlike the Spectrum, the QL display doesn't have such thing as an 'attribute file'. A pixel doesn't have a background or foreground colour, it just has a colour. So scrolling or panning just moves the entire (part of the) display.

That said, I've once written a SCREEN$ function for the QL which looks up the character displayed on a particular position on the screen like the Spectrum's equivalent. This operation is much more complicated since the pixel pattern is spread over 2 or 4 colour bits in different bytes, which must match either the foreground colour or the background colour (yes, I had to deal with 'inverted printing' too). And even then it only worked if the colours weren't changed between the printing and the call to SCREEN$!

Jan