QL-SD driver 1.10

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Re: QL-SD driver 1.10

Post by mk79 »

Dave wrote:Which raises the question: what would it take to have QubIDE be able to use the same .WIN files as QL-SD and everything else?
Somebody with a lot of knowledge and a lot of time at his hands ;) Hey, Wolfgang has retired and got a QL-VGA from me for his original QL, so he definitely has one, maybe if somebody gives him a QubIDE he'll do it :-P But yes, QubIDE is the sore point that's still missing in unifying all the different platforms. I have one QubIDE here in theory but currently no time for it.

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

Dave wrote:Which raises the question: what would it take to have QubIDE be able to use the same .WIN files as QL-SD and everything else?
IDE is just a simplification compared to SD card. I wrote the initial driver code for both IDE and SD card on Qxx and QL, also the FAT32 stuff, and can really see no problem except usage of assembler language (which is really not my strength).

Q40/Q60 SMSQ/E already supports the IDE bus to access QLWA images. Wolfgang and me worked this out to use SD cards via SD-IDE converters on our Q60s. It works with harddisk or CompactFlash as well. It would probably take not much more than some address changes and code re-organization to make the Q40/Q60 code usable for QubIDE also. But why waste precious development time for QubIDE, now that QL-SD exists? On hardware with a decent 16 bit IDE bus it would make sense for speed reasons, in comparison with the SPI-interface used by QL-SD. But the 8 bit QL bus is the bottleneck anyway.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Funny you should mention that. This is a 16-bit implementation.

That said, I'm getting well and truly stuck into my road trip now, and this is probably my last day of reliable internet access. I'll be around, on and off, and come out the other side around the 17th or 18th?

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

Dave wrote:Funny you should mention that. This is a 16-bit implementation.
Then it is not QubIDE. Have a nice road trip.

prime
Trump Card

Post by prime »

Hi all,

Just spotted a possible error / bytes that could be saved.

In file hd_ckrdy_asm the following code seems to be unreachable.

Code: Select all

hcrw_err
	moveq	#err.mchk,d0		; error return
	bra.s	hcrw_exit
It would save a few bytes if it was not needed and deleted...

Cheers.

Phill.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Cool, thanks.