QL on the Raspberry Pi...?

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
TMD2003
Trump Card

QL on the Raspberry Pi...?

Post by TMD2003 »

Again, this may appear to be a noobish question, so bear with me.

I have an original-model (2012) Raspberry Pi, the one with two USB ports and... not a lot going for it. And I'm not terribly familiar with these sub-computer systems (as we might call them), other than them being ARM-based bare boards that can run some form of Linux. My Pi is old enough that it could only run Raspbian up to a version released circa mid-2016, any newer than that and it really struggles.

Pis are usually seen as being suitable for retro-computing, and I'd assume that something like uQLx could potentially run through Raspbian. I think, though, if I could ever get that working, it'd be slower than treacle running down a very gentle slope in a Siberian winter*. I haven't tried RetroPie on it yet, even though I'll probably get around to that at some stage...

...and the reason for the delay is because, back in my regular haunt of Spectrum-ville, there exists ZXBaremulator. It emulates a 48K model, 128K and +2A without needing any other operating system - no RetroPie, no Raspian, nowt - and it works very effectively, even on a 2012 Pi. Furthermore, I just found myself looking at a thread that referred to the QL on a Mister system - which is one of those Pi-like sub-computers (isn't it?) - so the thought occurs, might a bare-metal QL emulator for the Pi be possible - or does one exist anyway, that I was unaware of?

It'd be a slightly strange experience as I do have a CRT TV, though the composite output on the Pi only puts out a black and white picture to that TV. To my main LED TV, it's in colour whether it's coming through the composite or HDMI, which tells me it's the TV that's acting odd, not the Pi, and that's good to know.

* Note that I can't take credit for that... but it is derived from a review of my Spectrum meisterwerk from earlier this year!

Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Re: QL on the Raspberry Pi...?

Post by janbredenbeek »

I have a Raspberry Pi model 3B which runs the ARM v7 version of uqlx successfully at a speed about 100 times the original QL.
Have no idea though whether it works on the original Pi. I suspect it will be somewhat slower but still faster than a BBQL.

Jan

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

I remember Tobias' version of uQLx running happily on my Raspberry Pi, V1B, with 256 RAMs. I bought mine just before they upgraded to 512 RAMs.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

uqlx actually runs quite well on the original RPI. For the intended application, however, there's a significant flaw: uqlx doesn't really emulate MODE 8 on the emulated QL.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I compiled sQLux on a Raspberry PI Zero v1.2, which was slow, but worked okay.

The emulator runs better on faster RPIs
tofro wrote:uqlx actually runs quite well on the original RPI. For the intended application, however, there's a significant flaw: uqlx doesn't really emulate MODE 8 on the emulated QL.

Tobias
Can you write the commands in the UQLX C source to give Mode 8 graphics?

Regards,

Derek
XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

uQlx is currently the goto emulator on pi0/1.

I started a new Linux job and haven’t had time to fix sQLux yet.

RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

What a nice idea, the PI 400 with a keyboard:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... rType=home

4E75 7000
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

I just saw that - resisting urge not to buy one - as I don't have an immediate need for it, but then I am sure I can find one.

Have to Pi4 boards already for 2 projects I have already - CAR PC GPS/Head unit extension, and a platform for HI quality camera and telescope control, so I can leave the scope setup outside, and sit inside on my laptop and stargaze in the warm :-)

Ruptor
Gold Card

Post by Ruptor »

:|
RalfR wrote:What a nice idea, the PI 400 with a keyboard:
A QL using a better chip 35 years later I think and It could boot uQlx to be a QL. :) Will it have membrane problems in 30 years?

RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

Ruptor wrote:Will it have membrane problems in 30 years?
Of course but just if QDOS, Minerva or SMSQ was run :D :D

4E75 7000