Mister QL

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: Mister QL

Post by vanpeebles »

Fingers in ears, la-la-la

daniel_baum
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by daniel_baum »

bixio60 wrote:Hi,
I took the occasion to refresh my Mister with latest Marcel QL core (20200927), two questions for Marcel (who else :) ):
- not able to mount anymore virtual HD (before yes with QL core 20200108) on the second Card on IO board, neither i call it QXL.WIN (default, should be automatically mounted). For the rest everything is fine, Mister boot correctly using the first card, loading SMSQ/E, but no way to mount anything on the second MicroSD.
- I have the RTC module mounted, but I suppose QL core doesn't use it, right?

Fabrizio
Hello,

You can mount a .WIN file from the F12 menu. The file can be in the QL directory on the first SD-Card. Do you really need to use the second SD card for this?

D.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Re: MiSTer QL

Post by mk79 »

mk79 wrote:
bixio60 wrote:- not able to mount anymore virtual HD (before yes with QL core 20200108) on the second Card on IO board, neither i call it QXL.WIN (default, should be automatically mounted).
Noted, but no time to check right now.
Update: works fine for me.

All the best, Marcel

bixio60
Brittle Membrane

Re: MiSTer QL

Post by bixio60 »

mk79 wrote:
bixio60 wrote:- not able to mount anymore virtual HD (before yes with QL core 20200108) on the second Card on IO board, neither i call it QXL.WIN (default, should be automatically mounted).
Noted, but no time to check right now.
- I have the RTC module mounted, but I suppose QL core doesn't use it, right?
Is this something the core must explicitly support? The QL core gets the time correctly from MiSTer when it's connected to the net.

Marcel
Hi Marcel,
thank you for your answer.
- After some test I realise that the problem is within the size of QXL.WIN, mine is about 1 Gb and doesn't mount on Card 2, other smaller QXL.WIN I have mount easily without problem on the second Card. It is NOT a problem of defragmentation, the same HD when mounted as main HD on Card 1 is fine.

- I have updated the main Mister Card and now the RTC "Date$" is working fine, thank you for the suggestion

- Another question: I have seen that the Mister get an IP address (F12 Menu), unless I am wrong this IP is not available when I load SMSQ/E on the Mister. I use extensively Martin Head IPDriver to networking all the LAN QL emulators and maybe Mister can be added.

Fabrizio

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Hm, no idea on point 1.

The IP is the one of the running Linux. MiSTer can make this available to a core as a virtual COM Port that runs a PPP connection, so a PPP client is needed on the QL side for this to work.

Marcel

bixio60
Brittle Membrane

Post by bixio60 »

mk79 wrote:Hm, no idea on point 1.

The IP is the one of the running Linux. MiSTer can make this available to a core as a virtual COM Port that runs a PPP connection, so a PPP client is needed on the QL side for this to work.

Marcel
Well, I think this is the same as a normal QL using the WIFI retro modem (Simulant), I use it with Q60 to update HD and to use QBOX. I exchange some emails with Martin to see the possibility to extend IP Driver to use PPP connection but at the end it is big effort.

Fabrizio

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

I stumbled upon an article from the developer of the original MiST. Includes some interesting thoughts the development board DE10nano used for the MiSTer.
https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.p ... 0ee15ddc00
Also worth reading for those who would like to see future dedicated QL hardware.

Tinyfpga
Gold Card

Post by Tinyfpga »

Before I became aware of the Q68 I bought some Mists and installed SMS2 on them. I prefer SMS2 to SMSQE and I like my Mists. They even run the cartridge version of SMS2 that was designed to be inserted into an Atari ST.

When the Q68 became available I bought some of them and configured them to look as though they were running SMS2.
The Q68 is designed to run SMSQE and for this purpose it is (in my opinion) much better than a Mist and probably better than a Mister.

I re-read the Mist article and its comments. It seems that the majority of Mist buyers are very happy with their purchase and likewise I imagine that most Q68 buyers are very happy with their Q68s.

I do not think that the Mist clone problem will affect the Q68 or any future SMS/FPGA designs. The problems that are likely to affect "future QL" hardware lie in the very limited interest in such harwdare and the drag caused by the apparent desire to make this hardware mimic an original QL.

Personally, I am only interested in a genuine QL future and by that I mean a design that pushes the promise that is contained within Tony Tebby's operating system architecture.
QL enthusiasts have not expressed much/any interest in either Stella or the articles he wrote for QL Today and so it is even less likely that an outsider would accept the ideas seriously enough to build something to compete with the Q68

If someone were to produce a better Q68 it would be a good thing and it would most likely be Peter Graf.

I have noticed that two articles (TTos.zip and Stella.zip) I posted on the 24th May 2020 have been downloaded over 30 times.
RalfR responded with a thank you and intriguingly wrote that he managed to get SMS2 to run in FPGA.
It begs the question, how if not a Mist?

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Tinyfpga wrote:I have noticed that two articles (TTos.zip and Stella.zip) I posted on the 24th May 2020 have been downloaded over 30 times.
Can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2805&p=34121&hilit=Stella#p34121
I kind of missed the post, but eventually found that I had the same documents for ages already. The Stella HTML docs lacked a logo file which I attach here.
Attachments
logo.gif
logo.gif (1.01 KiB) Viewed 2438 times

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Tinyfpga wrote:QL enthusiasts have not expressed much/any interest in either Stella or the articles he wrote for QL Today
I hoped for a long time to see Stella becoming available, and, I enjoyed Tony's series in QL Toady. I'm currently reading about how Unix came about and also about the design of BSD. I like technical stuff! :o

I suspect the appatent lack of enthusiasm for the former is due to it being "vapourware" as opposed to an actual OS that could be retro-fitted, a la Minerva, to a QL.

Does anyone know what happened to Stella? Did it ever materialise? Did anyone ever get it?

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.