Q68 Software SD Card

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Q68 Software SD Card

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Chr$,

I downloaded the zipped image file from the link and restored the image to a Sandisk 4Gb SDHC Card with Win32DiskImager on Windows 7.

The Q68 booted up as I configured the image file with all the softwzre in a QWA file setup as WIN1, on a FAT32 partition. A FAT16 partion exists with documention and a process to copy files to the QWA partition.

Note:

The FAT32 partition must be the first partition, this holds the QWA, QLSD container files.
The FAT partition is defined as partition 2 and is accessed from SMSQ/E withe FAT device, i.e. FAT1_

Incidently, the WIN32DiskImager image files can be mounted as an image drive in windows with the addition of software. Linux has this builr in and mounts the image file as a readonly drive.

Regards,

Derek
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Derek_Stewart wrote:
Note:

The FAT32 partition must be the first partition, this holds the QWA, QLSD container files.
The FAT partition is defined as partition 2 and is accessed from SMSQ/E withe FAT device, i.e. FAT1_
Hello Derek, yes I had the right partitions, as part of the mage and created by DiskImager, in my case on windows F: for the FAT32 and G: for the FAT. I'll have another play when I get a chance. The 'Medium check failed' error message, is that the message you get due to fragmentation or could something else have caused it? Don't go to any trouble though, as I say, I've had no probs creating my own Q68 SD card with other stuff on it.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Chr$,

The basic way to create a bootable SD Card, is to wipe the SD Card, so there are no partitions on the SD Card.

Create a FAT32 partition to hold the QWA and BDI containers.

I usually use a QWA container for the SMSQ/E operating system, which is downloadable from Wolfgang Lenerz. But beware, the SMSQ/E file needs to be configured with Menuconfig, as the defaults may not be correct.

The configured QWA container called Q68_SMSQ.WIN can copied to the FAT32 partition along with QWA containers holding all the software.

A FAT 16 partition can be created upto 256 Mb, after the FAT32 partition, this allows file transfer from the partition.

Note that files can not be transferred from the FAT32 partition.

I use a image of a master SD Card because it easier to create many SD Cards than to do it manually.

Look at the Q68 Distro DS Card, to see the structure and how to mount container files either SMSQ/E or QL-SD.

Regards,

Derek