700 Euros for a boxed QL \o/

A place to discuss general QL issues.
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Re: 700 Euros for a boxed QL \o/

Post by Chr$ »

grafvonb wrote:
I own 8 QLs, but the latest three I bought for over 150 euros... but never for over 200. I think this is the price range (should be as max) when you will buy one nowadays.
I think I'd be willing to pay more than 200 (euros) for a nice boxed UK one if it was fairly pristine and was in some way different to mine, e.g. a very early one or just 'nicer' in some other way! In fact I think I paid around 200 for my boxed UK BBQL. I'd certainly pay more than that for boxed foreigners, like the German version (which have a 'German Version' sticker on the box - I wonder if something similar existed for other markets because obviously if it didn't then the boxes are all the same as UK ones!). For the other even more exotic exotics, I don't think I've ever seen boxed ones for sale. I strongly suspect the Spanish boxes were possibly Investronica branded?? (who knows)

I expect Urs has them all!

Pic: Deutsche Version box.
20200614_144222_resized.jpg

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
grafvonb
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by grafvonb »

grafvonb wrote:
tofro wrote:
grafvonb wrote: I own 8 QLs, ....
No wonder prices go up if you've been emptying the market :D
Heh, good point. It's simply love :D and it might be good to ask how many QLs do we own here in the QL community if we know that just 150k were produced...

However I'm still looking for a French, Danish, Greek or Finnish version :lol:...

Loving QL & ZX Spectrum & Amiga...
grafvonb
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by grafvonb »

grafvonb wrote:
grafvonb wrote:
tofro wrote: No wonder prices go up if you've been emptying the market :D
Heh, good point. It's simply love :D and it might be good to ask how many QLs do we own here in the QL community if we know that just 150k were produced...

However I'm still looking for a French, Danish, Greek or Finnish version :lol:...

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

grafvonb wrote:...it might be good to ask how many QLs do we own here in the QL community if we know that just 150k were produced...
I have three in various states of disrepair. Two without microdrives, one with, all three needing new keyboard menbranes. I think I might still have a Trump Card but I gave my Gold Card away to Darran Branagh (spelling - apologies!) as a donation for an elderly gent some time ago. Got some disc drives too.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

NormanDunbar wrote:
grafvonb wrote:...it might be good to ask how many QLs do we own here in the QL community if we know that just 150k were produced...
I have three in various states of disrepair. Two without microdrives, one with, all three needing new keyboard menbranes. I think I might still have a Trump Card but I gave my Gold Card away to Darran Branagh (spelling - apologies!) as a donation for an elderly gent some time ago. Got some disc drives too.

Cheers,
Norm.
I don't suppose you have an ED drive spare?

(I have 4 original QLs. 3 German, 1 UK model. Generally all working but one of the German models is sort of a donor as the mdvs are being used elsewhere and the k/b membrane is bad).

Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
grafvonb
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by grafvonb »

Chr$ wrote: ... In fact I think I paid around 200 for my boxed UK BBQL. I'd certainly pay more than that for boxed foreigners, like the German version...
Yeah, as a QL fan it belongs to the any collection having an US or German version due to (please do not judge it or run into any political discussion)...

Here some infos I got from an UK professional after I sent my damaged German QL to his service:

1. "It's not a board revision I'm familiar with as it's a German one (which is good because they are SO MUCH BETTER than the UK ones where the connectors are concerned, and I believe the microdrive units are more reliable too...)"

2. "German QLs are actually using the US spec, which is why the case is all silvered on the inside; the US machines have to follow strict FCC guidelines to stop interference. The way this is done is to completely coat the case with conductive material and also to put things like voltage lines through inductors such as coils."

That's one of the reasons e.g. that German QL are so heavy...., thus so interesting :)

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Chr$ wrote:I don't suppose you have an ED drive spare?
I just checked the "box of bits", I have two pairs of floppy drives, both Miracle Systems. One pair is marked as "720Kb with Trump Card, 720Kb/1.4Mb/3.2Mb with Gold Card" and the other pair are unmarked, probably 720Kb but maybe 1.4Mb, I can't remember.

It appears that I don't have an interface though, no Trump card. I do have a Miracle Systems adaptor card to allow the Gold Card to use 4 floppies. Might work on Trump Card too, I only used it on the Goldie.

These drives are cased and heavy. PM me if you want/need it/them and we can work out postage, somehow.

Cheers,
Norm.

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

grafvonb wrote:
Chr$ wrote: ... In fact I think I paid around 200 for my boxed UK BBQL. I'd certainly pay more than that for boxed foreigners, like the German version...
Yeah, as a QL fan it belongs to the any collection having an US or German version due to (please do not judge it or run into any political discussion)...

Here some infos I got from an UK professional after I sent my damaged German QL to his service:

1. "It's not a board revision I'm familiar with as it's a German one (which is good because they are SO MUCH BETTER than the UK ones where the connectors are concerned, and I believe the microdrive units are more reliable too...)"

2. "German QLs are actually using the US spec, which is why the case is all silvered on the inside; the US machines have to follow strict FCC guidelines to stop interference. The way this is done is to completely coat the case with conductive material and also to put things like voltage lines through inductors such as coils."

That's one of the reasons e.g. that German QL are so heavy...., thus so interesting :)
Yes, the connectors are so much more convenient with the normal D Sub 9 pin. Generally very well built. I also like the details like the insides of the expansion plastic pieces being 'silver' and connected to the rest of the silvered case with a springy metal strip. US versions much the same but of course with English language keys and I'm not sure (can't find a pic of one) but I imagine they may be different in relation to the UK version concerning certain symbols like the $ and £ (or perhaps not, wonder if someone can show a US keyboard layout).

Thanks Norman, have pm'd you.

Tesla
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by Tesla »

I have three QLs. Two are english version, one italian version. Two are not working, but easily reparable, I think. Never time to do the work. Then I have one original Gold Card, one Super Gold Card (thanks Tetroid), one qubide, two disk interfaces, two 512 ram extension, one miracle, one spem (internal). :D
Anyway I think that 700 euro is too expensive, :cry:

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

IMG_20200614_180725.jpg
IMG_20200614_180757.jpg
Cheers,
Norm.