Chromebook

A place to discuss general QL issues.
dilwyn
Mr QL

Chromebook

Post by dilwyn »

Just been asked something I've never really thought about...anyone know if any of the QL emulators can be run on a Chromebook? Probably not since they mainly run online apps I suppose.

e.g. if Java is available for them and SMSQmulator could be run?

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Chromebook

Post by tofro »

Dilwyn,

you can run Java on most Chromebooks, so I would expect it should in theory be able to run SMSQmulator.

The point is: Installing Java there is probably way over the knowledge level of someone who needs to ask - It's simply not a straightforward procedure, because the CB needs to be put into developer mode (if you don't want to wipe ChromeOS and install Linux, which might even be ending up more complicated). Also, I would expect it to run dead slow.

Here's a tutorial (note the domain name...) in case they want to take the risk.

Regards
Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Xora likes chromebooks :lol:

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

dilwyn wrote:Just been asked something I've never really thought about...anyone know if any of the QL emulators can be run on a Chromebook? Probably not since they mainly run online apps I suppose.

e.g. if Java is available for them and SMSQmulator could be run?
Yes MAME can run on chromebook, it can be compiled into javascript using emscripten!

You then need to wrap it up on a webpage but the instructions are in the docs.

olifink
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by olifink »

I have SMSQmulator running on my Google Pixelbook (i5) - the display size makes it very small even with double scaled pixels on, but it works great.

WIth newer Intel Chromebooks there is no need to go into developer mode. You can just activate the Linux sandbox and then install whatever you need as with any other linux.

O