First power up

A place to discuss general QL issues.
wmh71
ROM Dongle

First power up

Post by wmh71 »

Hello, just got my hands on a ql and it’s been in a damp, cold shed for a few years. What do I need to before powering it up? And what checks etc I should do?
Many thanks

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: First power up

Post by vanpeebles »

I think I would open it up and check the condition inside. Check for git big spiddas and corrosion etc. But, opening the case will probably finish off the old keyboard membrane (if it was still working).

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Put it in a dry and warm place for a week, then simply power it on. (At least if it doesn't rattle when shaken)

If it works after the first 10 seconds, fine (it probably won't completely work).

If it doesn't, quickly switch it off, then come back to us for tips on repair.

There are computers out there that are known to literally self-destruct when faulty (like the ZX Spectrum). My recommendation would absolutely not be valid for those. But the QL has no such intricate circuitry in there - It either works or doesn't, in my experience.

As VP said, the keyboard membranes are becoming brittle with age - Opening the computer can do more harm than good on them. Apart from the membranes, QLs are a pretty sturdy kit.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
wmh71
ROM Dongle

Post by wmh71 »

tofro wrote:Put it in a dry and warm place for a week, then simply power it on. (At least if it doesn't rattle when shaken)

If it works after the first 10 seconds, fine (it probably won't completely work).

If it doesn't, quickly switch it off, then come back to us for tips on repair.

There are computers out there that are known to literally self-destruct when faulty (like the ZX Spectrum). My recommendation would absolutely not be valid for those. But the QL has no such intricate circuitry in there - It either works or doesn't, in my experience.

As VP said, the keyboard membranes are becoming brittle with age - Opening the computer can do more harm than good on them. Apart from the membranes, QLs are a pretty sturdy kit.

Tobias
Thanks Tobias,
That’s really helpful. If you hear a loud bang, you’ll know things didn’t go to plan :(

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

I usually get someone else to turn them on, while I stand in the corner with my hands over my ears >_<

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

I 100% back Tobias here.

Do you plan to use a monitor or plug it into a TV? If a TV, will you use UHF aerial cable or a SCART lead?

wmh71
ROM Dongle

Post by wmh71 »

Dave wrote:I 100% back Tobias here.

Do you plan to use a monitor or plug it into a TV? If a TV, will you use UHF aerial cable or a SCART lead?
Tv at first, I have a few spectrum Aerial cables, so assume they will do? If not I have a monitor, but it has a video input so not sure if I can get an adapter for it. Can they have a composite mod done like the spectrums? Thanks

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

I don't know what this composite mod is, but they have colour and mono composite available on the RGB socket.