The M-ICE mouse and Pointer environment?

A place to discuss general QL issues.
stephen_usher
Gold Card

The M-ICE mouse and Pointer environment?

Post by stephen_usher »

I know it's unlikely but can the Pointer Environment use the mouse connected to the Eidersoft M-ice dongle?

It would be dead handy if it did, given that's what I have.
IMG_1256.jpg

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: The M-ICE mouse and Pointer environment?

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The (M)ICE system pre-dates the pointer interface, I think, QRAM was just starting to appear when ICE was available.

To get ICE to work in the Extended Environment and use the Thing system. A new PTR_GEN would be needed.

I did start to disassemble the MICE Rom code, but did not get too far with it.

Regards,

Derek
stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

Yes, (M)ICE first appeared in 85 according to the copyright and was the first WIMP interface. I seem to remember the other systems turned up some years later.

The interface is very rudumentary. There's no scrolling and no double-clicking, merely using different buttons. There are no windows as such either. Other than ARTice, I can't remember anything using the system and it's little more than a file manager otherwise.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

stephen_usher wrote: Other than ARTice, I can't remember anything using the system and it's little more than a file manager otherwise.
There were a few programs released - all Eidersoft titles - see:
https://qlwiki.qlforum.co.uk/doku.php?id=qlwiki:ice

RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

I think, the thread starter does not want to hear that, he just want to know, if it is possible, to use ptr_gen with mice. So don't mess this thread with unused informations.

4E75 7000
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

stephen_usher wrote:I know it's unlikely but can the Pointer Environment use the mouse connected to the Eidersoft M-ice dongle?
It's certainly possible to write a PE driver for it, but I don't think anybody ever did that.

RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

mk79 wrote:
stephen_usher wrote:I know it's unlikely but can the Pointer Environment use the mouse connected to the Eidersoft M-ice dongle?
It's certainly possible to write a PE driver for it, but I don't think anybody ever did that.
That was, I asked Marcel a long time ago. Use the PE mouse to use SER things (which other mouse programmers think to use) in QPC. E.g. the Smiling Mouse (very good for ProPub) or the ICE things.

I even think, an SERmouse thing should be possible in QPC (although Marcel told me to use use an old serial mouse in conjunction with Albin Hesslers's SERmouse "Try it on your own peril :D " ) . Even to use this with QL.Paint.

Does someone know, how the the Smiling Mouse works? Any interrupts, which can be changed to the ones from PE?

4E75 7000