FGPA Anyone?

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Re: FGPA Anyone?

Post by mk79 »

bixio60 wrote:Unfortunately me too, I was not able to make the SD work.
Marcel, I could happily test your suite even if unfinished, if possible.....
No need to test it, as the CPU exhibits spurious faults I know it's broken in the worst way and any test is meaningless. Also, my version doesn't have the HDMI scaler as I don't have the license for that.
In the meantime a free scaler was released and another cycle accurate 68k core was revealed for another core, maybe I will try these one day.

Cheers, Marcel

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

mk79 wrote:In the meantime a free scaler was released and another cycle accurate 68k core was revealed for another core, maybe I will try these one day.
Are you referring to the FX68K core? I had a brief look, but was not in the mood to manually convert System Verilog to Verilog, which is required for my synthesis tools.

The FX68K core seems interesting to replace a GoldCard (not SuperGold Card), eliminating the need for software changes.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Peter wrote:Are you referring to the FX68K core? I had a brief look, but was not in the mood to manually convert System Verilog to Verilog, which is required for my synthesis tools.
Yes, that's the one. My toolchain can handle SystemVerilog, but no idea how easy it is to exchange the cores, I haven't yet have any look at them.

Cheers, Marcel

Whopper
Over Heated PSU

Post by Whopper »

Fabrizo, Marcel,

Stupid questions first, did you check the ".QSF" file for the SD card pin assignments?

I haven't had a chance to check the ".QSF" against my DE2-115 but am sure that changes will be required.

Whopper

You woke me for THAT!!!
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Whopper wrote:Fabrizo, Marcel,

Stupid questions first, did you check the ".QSF" file for the SD card pin assignments?
I have a DE-10 nano, which is the intended target board. So, no, it's fine for me.

Marcel

bixio60
Brittle Membrane

Post by bixio60 »

Tuna wrote:I've been experimenting with the MiSTer QL emulator built on the DE10 Nano FPGA board - it's a compact and fairly neat implementation of a bare bones QL - with some support for QL SD card images (though i can't get that part to work). It would be lovely if it got more support for disk images of various sorts, and even QL successors, but it appears there aren't that many people around to contribute to such a project.
I suspect you don't have I/O Card...
Without it (Mister I/O Card 5.5 XL) you miss the second SD reader where you should install qxl.win

So far everything work fine, Mister is about 2.5 faster than a bare QL. In the setup you should leave CPU to normal, if you try to use x2 or x4 doesn't work.
Try to attach some picture.

Fabrizio
Attachments
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

daniel_baum
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by daniel_baum »

Hello,

Resurrecting this thread to ask how to install QXL.WIN on the second sd card reader. How does the card need to be formatted? I am unable to make it work.

Thanks,

D.

UPDATE: I got it to work. It turned out it needed an SDHC card, and doesn't support SDXC. However, now it seems to lock up whenever I try to load anything...

D.

Whopper
Over Heated PSU

Post by Whopper »

Daniel,

I too had problems initially with putting .WIN files onto the Q68. However I soon realised, as you probably did, that it's easy to check that the .WIN file works on a PC (with an emulator) and then just copy it onto your SDHC card.

I know that this may not seem helpful, but it's the process I've used to put a personal .WIN file and the Black Phoenix .WIN onto my Q68.

Whopper

You woke me for THAT!!!
daniel_baum
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by daniel_baum »

Hi,
Thanks for replying.

Here's the latest. I have (hopefully) made sure that I am using the correct ROM. I made sure I was using EXACTLY the same QXL.WIN file that I am using under Minerva on the Q68. I have set the Mister core to 896K of RAM, normal CPU speed. The Mister is very unstable, constantly and consistently locking up, while everything works fine on the Q68.

The only significant difference between the Mister and Q68 environments is that the Q68 has a lot more memory, so maybe that has something to do with it. On the other hand, if other people are successfully running the QL Mister core with the QL-SD, then maybe it's something in my Mister. For example, does anyone successfully run it with a 128MB SDRAM card?

BTW, not necessarily connected, but I have noticed that the Mister and MIST both have trouble reading some MDV images that are fine in other environments.

Rgds,

D.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Whopper wrote:Daniel,

I too had problems initially with putting .WIN files onto the Q68. However I soon realised, as you probably did, that it's easy to check that the .WIN file works on a PC (with an emulator) and then just copy it onto your SDHC card.

I know that this may not seem helpful, but it's the process I've used to put a personal .WIN file and the Black Phoenix .WIN onto my Q68.

Whopper
Hi,

I am not sure what problems you are encountering copying QWA files onto a Q68 SD Card.

The important thing, is to make sure the 1st partition on the SD Card is FAT32, this where the QWA files and Q68 operating system files.

I usually create a FAT16 partition after the FAT32 partition, and define it with the FAT_DRIVE colmand,

See the supplied boot files and read the Q68 manual.

I dud look at the Mister, but it looked expensive and could not run SMSQ/E, no High Colours, no extended resolution... Q68 does it all for me.

Regards,

Derek