Floppy Drive inside Microdrive Slot

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
genetika
Over Heated PSU

Floppy Drive inside Microdrive Slot

Post by genetika »

Hi.
Is it possible to mod the QL case in order to use a FD 3.25 instead of the MDs... ?
SGC + QBIde inside the case ... :-)

Cristian
Aurora

Re: Floppy Drive inside Microdrive Slot

Post by Cristian »

Well, let's say that nothing is impossible, but... I think it would be very complicate.

The flat cable connector is in the opposite side of QL;
you should get rid of the big heatsink, and replace the regulator;
I don't know if the 5V from PSU will be sufficient to feed the floppy drive;
some floppy drives need also a 12V input;
the floppy drives are big, probably you will have to disassemble the drive case;
the modern external floppy drives are thinner, but they use a USB interface.

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

It just happens that I have an disassembled QL on the desk and a disassembled PC under the desk :) So I checked the floppy size - and there is not enough room in the QL case

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

Andrew wrote:there is not enough room in the QL case
For a normal floppy drive. Have you tried also a smaller external drive? Just for information

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

No, I do not have an external floppy
(actually I do, but they are normal floppies in an external case)

Nasta
Gold Card

Post by Nasta »

In theory, you could do that if you manage to find a laptop floppy drive, those are half as thick as the regular type, and barely bigger than the diskette. However, even then, it's NOT easy. At best you can get a floppy inside the case so that the diskette sticks out the righthand side, and that's with a LOT of modification to the case and other internals.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Back in the bad old days when the fastest expansion was a Trump Card, a friend did this. He added a 3.5" floppy drive to his QL.

The drive was fitted at the end of the QL above the reset switch. Which meant cutting the QL case to accomodate the 3.5" flopply drive.

The drive needed an external power supply, as we thought the QL PSU was not powerful to power the 3.5" floppy drive.

The QL heat sink was lowered to allow the drive to be fitted in the QL case. I think that a capacitor was modified to allow the drive installation.

Microdrives removed, not required, access to microdrives over the network.

Connection to the Trump Card by a standard 34 way cable.

Of course a laptop drive could been used with a converter board to 34 way IDC.

The end result worked well, but only a single drive, no real expansion for multiple floppy drives.

25 years later when we should be using SD Cards or similiar, fitting a floppy disk drive seems too much work.

You might worth getting a vDriveQL fitted into the QL case.

Regards,

Derek
Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

I wanted to buy a vdrive for Christmas :) but I could not find any - they are no longer listed on sellmyretro.

wayne weedon
ROM Dongle

Post by wayne weedon »

If my memory serves me correctly I think Keith Mitchell might of achieved this back n the 90's.

I have a QL motherboard here somewhere which I modified by cutting the end of the PCB off flush with the edge of the 8049, so it has no microdrive circuitry etc. I had to replicate some of the video circuit on veroboard and it was functional again. This was done to fit it into a small desktop case. One day I'll venture into the attic to find it and take a picture.

Wayne..

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Andrew wrote:I wanted to buy a vdrive for Christmas :) but I could not find any - they are no longer listed on sellmyretro.
They are sold in small batches - if you register on sellmyretro and go to the listing (https://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/details/29035) you can click on "Notify when back in stock" and will get an email as soon as they are relisted.